Quick 5/3/1 question

betamin

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just started running the routine and its great and fun but im recovering from my second lower back injury due to bad technique deadlifting and was wondering if I could do squats twice a week (one workout going to "failure", one just getting the prescribed reps) to keep my hips workload up. Thanks.

I suggest to deadlift with a weight you can handle without pain and with good form.

The thing is im at this new gym with no access to another place for a good 5 or 6 months and they only got 15 k plates (think that's about 35' pound plates), the bar is almost touching the upper part of my shoes when I stand in front of it so its kinda hard grabbing the bar without a lumbar flexion (I've got SI joint problems for a while).

Besides, I woke up this morning determined to go and deadlift no matter what but then I got thinking: Is it really worth it? I mean deadlifting is imo the best feeling that you can get while exercising but I missed out a lot of bjj due to lowback injuries and I really don't want to go back to that, powerlifting has never been a goal of mine.

And I will probably get around to deadlifting light and work on form at some point, but I want something to work the hips while not getting my leg numb, so if you have any advice on that please share.

Aren't there any boxes or something that you can rest the bar on, so that it comes up off the floor even though it's not loaded with weight?

If the plates are too small you can rest them on top of plates to bring them to the proper height. If deadlifting gives you pain then you shouldn't deadlift, though I'm surprised that you can squat but not deadlift. Regardless, pain = bad and as long as you are squatting, not deadlifting isn't the end of the world.

Yeah I can squat I think because the injury is mainly in the SI joint, so squatting doesn't really hurts unless I get a little bit of butt tucking, then I get a numb pain. I tried the plates but the bar keeps falling, im thinking about getting some blocks of wood somewhere.

The decision I made is, at least for 3 or 4 weeks, don't deadlift at all, stretch more, and then giving it one more shot; but for the time being I want to do something extra for the hips, so how do you guys think I should put more work while doing the 5/3/1?

Sumo deadlifts. They use a lot less lower back muscle than converntional deadlifts, and they work the hips more.

You could also try box squats.

If the plates are too small you can rest them on top of plates to bring them to the proper height. If deadlifting gives you pain then you shouldn't deadlift, though I'm surprised that you can squat but not deadlift. Regardless, pain = bad and as long as you are squatting, not deadlifting isn't the end of the world.

I pulled my back deadlifting and could barely deadlift 135lbs-my max was 405 at the time-and the day after next squatted my full set no problem. It hurt like hell just to bend over for a week and I didn't dead heavy for 3 weeks, but it never affected my squats.

Back