questions to fellow expert grapplers

outcastkid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
a judoka wants to persue a career in mma.does the judoka needs to learn bjj?

does the judoka needs to learn no gi judo?if so how?

last question.non judo related.

combat sambo looks like amateur mma.well, i think its the same thing.but how come there's not alot of combat sambo practioner that participate in professional mma?

A judoka need to train in MMA and that means Submission Wrestling (NoGI grappling, both standup and ground) and Boxe/Muay Thai training.

If a Judo guy whats to compete in MMA he/she needs to practice and cross train in the following disciplines:

freestyle wrestling
greco-roman wrestling
western boxing
muay thai
BJJ
and Judo (which should already be covered)

Only an expert in one maybe two, but should be very familiar with techniques from all of them (and yes there is HUGE overlap in the tech's of each)

combat sambo looks like amateur mma.well, i think its the same thing.but how come there's not alot of combat sambo practioner that participate in professional mma?

Very small talent pool in Combat Sambo and even in Sport Sambo.

With Judo being the one of the most popular MA in the world, you could ask why more Judoka have not entered MMA. (awaits Judo is an Olympic sport argument)

Very small talent pool in Combat Sambo and even in Sport Sambo.

With Judo being the one of the most popular MA in the world, you could ask why more Judoka have not entered MMA. (awaits Judo is an Olympic sport argument)

i ask about sambo because it looks more like mma still not much samboist persue the mma path.

If a Judo guy whats to compete in MMA he/she needs to practice and cross train in the following disciplines:

freestyle wrestling
greco-roman wrestling
western boxing
muay thai
BJJ
and Judo (which should already be covered)

Only an expert in one maybe two, but should be very familiar with techniques from all of them (and yes there is HUGE overlap in the tech's of each)

anyway.i just regarding grappling arts..not striking arts.striking is definitely nids to be train.

I trained in Judo and sambo, and from my experience it is also important to learn wrestling and bjj. bjj has subs that we just dont have.

learn as much as you can in all disciplines, your takedowns and positioning on the ground will be there, now you hae to put some solid submissions behind it. and of course striking

To really be successful in MMA you need to at LEAST hold a purple belt in bjj. Or be proficient enough in it that had you trained bjj, you would be a purple belt.

if ur a judo guy u will need to learn BJJ cos of the extensive set of submissions, and you'l need to practice wrestling, boxing and mauy thai and if ur doing them as separate disciplines you would need to do an MMA class so that your doing all of them together for obvious reasons such as doing boxing dont teach u to block kicks n clinches and BJJ doesnt teach u how to double leg someone agressive wrestling style

I would think the judoka would have to if not at least work with/vs many bjjers in the process.

There really is no nogi judo. You'll just have to adapt like everyone else. I think you can 'maintain' some judo going 1 or 2 times/week but for all practical purposes you can't work it anymore during mma training. They're too different.

I believe for judo to be most beneficial to you for mma you would need at the least 3 or 4 years at 3x/week.

It is more the school than the art. But Hayliks is right that you should have about purple-belt-equivalent skill on the ground to be successful in MMA. But you still need good wrestling and muay thai. Judo could give you an edge, but very few judo dojos have MMA programs too.

AFAIK, combat sambo as a competitive sport is a little newish. I might be wrong here, though. There aren't many sambo comrades around America, so that might the the reason you don't see them in every MMA show.

It'd be a good idea to learn BJJ. At an absolute minimum BJJ or sambo or submission wrestling for the leg locks. But why stop there, BJJ has a lot to offer, you might as well learn it, it can only help. The only top level MMA fighters without any BJJ that I can think of are Fedor and Barnett.

Practicing no gi judo is a must, as the throws change without a gi. The how is what you'd expect ... go to an MMA club and practice them no gi. Wrestling is helpful as well.

And of course, you have to learn striking. MT or boxing. And then you have to throw it all together ... ie you have to train MMA.

relax guys.i'm from south east asian.so pls 4give my bad english.

even if you are a very good judoka you need to learn how to defend/fight when you are on your back. Because you are a judoka you need to learn how to strike so you don't get that damaged when you are going into the clinch range.

As a former judoka who took up BJJ I say not really. YOu only need (absolutely need) training partners who are adept at wrestilng, ground fighting (heel hooks and leg laces included) and striking.
They don't all need to be the same guy. You can have a group of guys, hopefully the same size as you, to train with.

You definitely need to be able to fight exceedingly well without the Gi to go into MMA. My advice is do lots of Sub Wrestling/No Gi tournaments, these are a fun way to get into the groove of No Gi against guys that are looking to finish you. If you destroy your advanced division, try fighting at larger tourneys like GQ and Naga and see how you do. IF you are an animal, train striking, wrestling and of course your Judo at a great MMA club and start taking amateur fioghts.

I wish you the best of luck, lots of fun and an injury free and glorious career.

Back