Questions on testing my 1RM

calvus

Getting Crunk
@purple
Reaction score
I'd like to test my 1RM max on SOHP, Bench, Squat & Deadlift. This is for fun & self motivation...I haven't really testing a 1RM since High School 20 years ago.

My current workout plan is Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, 4 days a week. I'm finishing up week 3 now, so next week is a deload week.

I'm planning to try to test my 1RM & set some new PR's the week after deload. Does that seem like the best time to do this?

Also, how do you guys warmup for a 1RM? I've been doing 3 sets, 5 reps @ about 40%, 50%, 60% of my theoretical 1RM for warmups. But that is so light I think I may need another set or 2 a little heavier before trying for a new PR. Would appreciate some feedback here.

And lastly, since I'm already doing a 4-day workout schedule, I was just going to test my 1RM on each exercise on the day I was already planning to work out & then follow with some light assistance. So, I'll test SOHP on Monday, Deads on Wednesday, Bench on Thursday & Squat on Saturday.

Sound like a plan?

Thanks in advance for tips...

I believe Wendler suggests testing your one rep maxes on the 5/3/1 day (3rd wave), so instead of repping out on the last set, just hit the single and then work up to your 1RM attempts.

Note to Self: RTFM!!

So I was just reading back through Wendler's 5/3/1 book (after I posted this question, of course) & found the following on 1 rep maxes in the Q&A Section:

**Begin Quote**
Question: Do you ever take a true one rep max?

Answer: You can do it whenever you want, but I'd recommend waiting at least 3 or 4 cycles to test it again. Never give up a training day to take a 1RM. Simply do the workout first, but don't go for max reps on the last set.
**End Quote**

So I think my strategy was close, I'll start the next cycle after my deload week & test my one rep max on my last set for each exercise.

Any other thoughts or advice are still welcome, of course :)

It's too early for you to test your 1RM if you only finished your 1st cycle. As its says in the book, don't waste a training day by testing your 1RM. I think i'm going on cycle 6 and i still haven't done any 1RM attempts, i don't plan to until the end of the year.

As far as the workout for testing it, do your warmups like you normally do then gradually keep increasing the weight. Personally i won't go over 1-2 reps leading up to my projected 1RM. You should always have an idea how much you want to lift that day. I'm sure other people here might say otherwise, but this is just how i would do it.

Thanks Hatchoo -

I think I'm still going to test it soon, because I'd like to have a "baseline". Then I can test again in 3-4 (or more) cycles if I want & have something to compare it to.

I think its ok to test it now in my case because I'm not measuring improvement - but I want a measurable starting point.

Do you feel like the 1RM #s you used for 5/3/1 are not accurate enough? If you do then i suggest you go ahead and test your 1RM then reset your cycles while it's still early. At least you'll be able to compare them after a few more cycles without any doubts in your mind.

I didn't use 1RM, I used my 5 rep numbers from the 5x5 I was doing in May-June. I took the 5 rep numbers & calculated a 1RM, then used 90% of that number to set up the 5/3/1.

Actually I just checked, I used 5 rep numbers for deads & squats & 2 rep numbers for SOHP & Bench.

Like I said, I want to do this for a benchmark, but also for fun. Bench felt really good today, I think I can hit my goal I set in May, which was 275.

This is your first cycle through the program? Stick it out for 3 or 4 more cycles, the original rep max estimates should be close enough to give you a baseline.

Back