Questions from a noob....

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by M o A, Oct 16, 2010.

1. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

Hey guys, finally had a bit of time in midst of studying to box.
    I had the chance to spar with a guy who had 1-2 years of boxing experience, while i myself hardly have any. We wore headguards and whatnot, and went for about 3 round intervals. Here was my experience:

I would approach him trying to find range and whatnot trying to be patient but whenever i got too close and try to hit him with a jab he always managed to counterpunch and this was pretty much the case, he was 1-2 inches shorter than me but made up the weight as he was pretty muscular (stocky physique) i was apparently telegraphing my shots with my shoulders way too bad.

Here are my concerns guys:

1- How do i deal with a damn patient counter puncer? Im gonna be dealing with this guy a lot since hes one of the only guys my size there.

2- Each time i got hit i would feel the thud for a nano second, then be back to normal almost immediately - mind you these were shots i didnt see coming and they were well timed shots from good angles, at one point he got me with a 1-2 and i lost my balance a bit but nothing serious, i had a tiny headache for a few hours after but nothing serious....do i have a bad chin?

3- I have been on the pads before and always been complimented on my power, unfortunately i couldnt get into positions that could allow me to use my power and even if i did i didnt have sufficient time to properly use my hips/legs for that raw power naaimsayin? How can i improve on this.

3- Im studying law guys and i need my brain cells intact, if i attend this boxing gym i will be sparring 2x a week (with head guard tho) i read a report that even amateur boxers can get brain damage, i discussed with a guy once how he did amateur boxing for half a year but then stopped since he found it hard to focus and study, i dont want to be incapable of studying for my exams in 6 months due to sparring, its not worth it.

Would appreciate the feedback guys.

2. ryanisgrreat

ryanisgrreat White Belt

I'd say let him come to you, then throw combinations since he likes counter punching but I have no experience in boxing. As for a bad chin, the only way to know is to be in an actual fight. You have to set up angles to throw punches with power, look at Nick Diaz, he throws from weird angles but has decent power. As for your brain cells, wearing headgear should be sufficient.

Just my opinion by the way, i'd talk to someone who has boxing experience.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  3. ConsiderThis

ConsiderThis Black Belt

Ask your instructors.

4. My name is Url***

My name is Url*** White Belt

stop being a fucking pussy.

5. Proteus900

Proteus900 Blue Belt

speaking as someone 5'6 and 155,

shorter fighters generally go for counter punching, because they need to wait for someone with longer reach to make openings either way. The way to deal with is to be frustraiting as all hell. Be constantly throwing jabs from as far away as you can. Force him to come in on you, and when he does work his body real hard, because if he starts keeping his hands lower he wont be able to counter punch as effectivly.

To protect your head there are two things to focus on, you need to learn how to roll with punches when your getting hit in the head you want to shift your upper body along with it so that there isn't as much force bouncing back. Also do Military presses and wide pull-ups they work the muscle groups that will keep your head from bouncing around so much when you get popped.

6. 663

663 White Belt

if you have considerable reach advantage over him widening your stance is a good way to get your jab out further without him being able to reach you. use feints let him fire off and then make him pay.

7. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

8. nip102

nip102 Purple Belt

1 -I like to counterpunch and the thing i look for is rhythm and patterns in the people I spar.If you are predictable its easy to counterpunch you.Move your head and jab when coming in and don't come from a straight line,side step in and out,feint.also if you can pressure, don't give him time to counter you, alternatively you could try and counter him.
    2-Its quite common to loss your balance in your first session sparring, working on your stance,footwork and balance will help this.A good counterpunch will jolt the person it hits as it will be unexpected.I try to hit people as the come in usually when theY throw a straight with my right hand in the hope of catch them unaware and using their momentum against them.You don't have a bad chin you just are being caught well by good punches
    3 That comes with time and practice.Footwork is key to get you in positions use your power
    4 I study economics and I spar at least twice a week for over a year now.I have noticed no problem with my studies so far.If you manage your time well and are disciplined, you should be able to do both.If you think you are having any type of problem go to a doctor and every sparring session doesn't have to be a war in fact its better if it isn't.

Keep with it, boxing is a great sport and well worth the effort

9. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

Thanks nip^ who u got winning maidana khan?

10. nip102

nip102 Purple Belt

khan by pure speed should be a good fight as maidana has a very sneaky right hand

11. M o A

M o A Banned Banned

^agreed, Maidana will struggle against Khans superior boxing.

12. M o A

M o A Banned Banned