Questioning Javier Mendez as a coach

Vincentsky

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How legit is Javier Mendez ?

Is he really responsible for his fighters success or is it more of a case of iron sharpens iron at AKA?

Reason I ask is because it seems like khabib, DC, and Cain mostly rely on their wrestling pressure to win and khabibs striking particularly doesn’t look like it improved THAT much over the years..

Also Luke sufferered 2 ko losses in his last few fights and his boxing and defence looked like shit. Also he switched to hooft he is supposed to be great striking coach ( questionable )

Other guys who trained there like Koscheck also had terrible striking, and if you bring up BJ- here is a guy who learns unusually fast hence his 3 year path to Bjj black belt.

I never hear much insight in his corner advice. All he seems to tell khabib is “ Cain Velasquez style” and khabib doesn’t seem to listen to him much in the corner, it was khabibs brother or cousin who yelled at him in Russian to stop boxing after the 3rd round.

Not hating just wondering

he certainly has the frame for it, if there were no seats i would use him anyday

As a couch...
tommy_lee_jones1.jpg

Yeah he's a pretty bad couch, OK coach though.

He’s very bad for the knees

Last edited:
He is a part of it.. but overall he is just a piece in the puzzle.

I've never lost my keys down the back of Javier Mendez but he does seem to collect dog hair

Dc the guy who boxed up stipe relied only on wrestling to become hw champ and lhw champ at same time.

Didn't Khabib just make a fool out of the supposed best striker in mma standing?

Last edited:
Well, Javier Mendez does look like he's full of last month's popcorn. 6/10 couch

He is the first few kickboxing guy to open his doors to mma fighters. I believe guys like Frank Shamrock, BJ PENN and other early mma guys went there to start cross training. Someone can correct me but I believe he is the local long pants kickboxing guy there.
Hooft might have a better pedigree than Javier but he doesn't seem to understand MMA as much as Javier. His guys all turn into standup fighters who know how to brawl/Firefight but slowly lose their wrestling. I am glad Usman did not regress like Rumble, MJ and even Rashad.

He is the first few kickboxing guy to open his doors to mma fighters. I believe guys like Frank Shamrock, BJ PENN and other early mma guys went there to start cross training. Someone can correct me but I believe he is the local long pants kickboxing guy there.
Hooft might have a better pedigree than Javier but he doesn't seem to understand MMA as much as Javier. His guys all turn into standup fighters who know how to brawl/Firefight but slowly lose their wrestling. I am glad Usman did not regress like Rumble, MJ and even Rashad.
All those guys fell in love with the knockout, except Marty

He's solid. The best part about him is that he knows what his students strengths are and he only gives them the striking that they need in order to cater to their strengths (grappling). He knows his role.

Is he one of the best striking coaches in MMA? Idk probably not, but i'm sure guys like DC and Khabib could become better strikers elsewhere, but would they become better MMA fighters elsewhere? I don't think so.

Javier is a good striking coach, but he really shines in being one of the better head MMA coaches.

Last edited:
Lol, I wish the TS had the balls to not edit the title

Did Khabib just make a fool out of the supposed best striker in mma standing?
No he lost the only round he didn’t land a takedown and shot for a takedown immediately after landing a big shot
I know your probably new to mma but this is nothing new
Chael sonnen best Silva up way worse

anyone who watched the reality show they had years ago knows Javier Mendez aint shit...... Bob Cook is the real coach at AKA. Javier rides off his hard work

Back