Question

Masakatsu Funaki #1

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If you had the chance to construct a gym specifically geared toward grappling, what equipment would you purchase to furnish the facility? And the most important?

Mats..then more mats. Plus a big screen to watch fights on friday beer night.

Important stuff:

- A lot of matspace and, of course, mats (Zebra Mats or comparable).
- Wall mats/padding.
- Pole/support padding.

Not necessities, but nice to have:

- Crash mat for throws.
- fancy gym timer
- climbing rope

I would get what everyone else above said, plus a throwing dummy or 2 for people who are not confident with throws can gain some before tossing real people around. "D" clamps in the walls for resistance bands w/ harnesses. Billboard for flyers and stuff to that effect.

Mats, crashpad, throwing dummy, climbing rope, power racks, medicine balls, thick webbing across the ceiling so you can climb the rope then climb across the ceiling to another rope, pull up bars (just for ambiance), a kick ass stereo system, Harnesses for explosive training, a giant scoreboard/titantron (hey if I'm rich right?), the best industrial antibacterial that is safe on mats and equipment , a ****l chute (don't laugh it helps you learn to drop level and then shoot instead of diving, hitting your head once on the edge teaches you something) A wall dummy for shots, and probably other things I can't think of right now.

I would choose wrestling mats over any bjj/judo mat, MUCH less mat burn, a few throwing dummies, a few crashpads, and I would probably go all out on a bathroom/lockeroom facility with showers and such.

I would choose wrestling mats over any bjj/judo mat, MUCH less mat burn, a few throwing dummies, a few crashpads, and I would probably go all out on a bathroom/lockeroom facility with showers and such.

+1 for the full out facilities.

A long bar for pull-ups. You can do different kinds of pullups for strength and/or grip training as well as other uses like stretching and abdominal work. I think they're underrated and they don't take up any floor space, just wall space.

A big-ass tractor tire, sledge-hammer, and kettlebells. Slavic strength training ftw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back