Question

interj

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
9 month in white belt and at least I feel like I

haha I identify with #2 somewhat. Sometimes when Im doing really well against someone whos been training a lot longer I kind of let up for some reason and let them get something. Not sure why its a mental thing Ive got to deal with

Give 100% dude. I hardly get to roll with my instructor. I would love to try to kick his ass and get my ass handed to me.....

you're overthinking it. If you get the chance, take the fight to him. That's what I do. Almost like a challenge to him to keep up.

Just roll like you would with anyone else.

This.

Also don't worry too much about getting the tap or tapping out. Focus on improving your game or helping your partner do the same.

Roll just as you would with anyone else, except try to be as controlled as you possibly can and have good posture and base.

Don't flop over and let him have his way with you just because he's your instructor. You should actually be trying to tap him. Nothing wrong with trying to tap your instructor, and if you do tap him once in a while it's not a big deal, he was probably letting you work. But if you go real hard and roughly against your instructor he might return the favor, keep that in mind.

I love rolling with instructors. It gives me a chance to really test myself and try and submit someone I know is much better than me. Don't spaz, but try your hardest against them, they'll most likely appreciate the effort.

Roll just as you would with anyone else, except try to be as controlled as you possibly can and have good posture and base.

Don't flop over and let him have his way with you just because he's your instructor. You should actually be trying to tap him. Nothing wrong with trying to tap your instructor, and if you do tap him once in a while it's not a big deal, he was probably letting you work. But if you go real hard and roughly against your instructor he might return the favor, keep that in mind.

Exactly!

Thanks guys, seems like I may be the only one who feels a little strange trying to "beat" the instructors.

I guess it's a mind set thing, I understand you're there training and learning, but there also is a certain level of competition. I guess but not trying to compete with them, I feel like I'm showing respect.

When I roll with a higher belt, my goal is to absorb information from them. I try to do things, and I play close attention to how they counter these things. As you are a white belt, my opinion is that you should be focusing on the defensive aspects of your game.

Start small, try not to let a higher belt stabilize a position as if they were trying to score points. I have found this to be a awesome training tool, it means you need to be active and will force you to understand the positions. When you get swept try to grab some sort of guard, when it gets passed, try to shrimp and get it back.

This is just my opinion, but it is how I do it.

Thanks guys, seems like I may be the only one who feels a little strange trying to "beat" the instructors.

I guess it's a mind set thing, I understand you're there training and learning, but there also is a certain level of competition.

I still get this feeling from time to time.

With you being a white belt, chances of you really catching your black belt instructor with 40 years experience is highly unlikely. Just bring what you would against another white belt. They'll be able to handle it. I'm a counter/sweep guy myself, so when i roll with my black belt, i've been chewed out a time two for being too passive, he likes to just hang out and see where i'm gonna take the match. In a way you are being graded when rolling with the instructor so don't be a slouch, but don't try and tear his head off with pure strength either.

You know how when you race a little kid in a foot race and you run at a pace that matches the little kid, maybe even let them start to beat you a bit as you proclaim "oh my gosh, you're beating me" but then take three real strides in order to jump out ahead and win right at the last moment.....

.....that's what your blackbelt instructor is doing to you when they roll with you in those moments when you feel like you almost caught them in something in most cases at this point in your grappling training.

That said, there is nothing more respectful than taking the teachings he has spent so much time providing and trying to apply it while rolling with him.

Just roll like you would with anyone else.

This is the best answer. But if you're feeling for whatever reason like you need to do something different than what you normally do, rolling against higher belts is an opportunity to try to match their rhythm, i.e., execute the right counter in a timely way for everything they try to do. Put another way, focus more on pace than intensity.

I would get chewed out if I didn't go close to tourny level. Cranking subs and whatnot isn't an issue as haven't got that far:p

Roll as normal as they say. The day I tap my instructor is the day I open my own gym.

i know its probably tempting to entertain ideas that you are getting the best of your instructor, but it's most likely not as close as you think.

if you're a blue belt, think about how you tool new white belts. and you have maybe 2 years of experience?

now extrapolate that for 10+ years of experience, or 15 years, or 20 or 30!

Back