Question

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by RMMaryport, Jul 27, 2010.

1. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

I've recently had a real problem when sparring, my shoulders have felt really heavy, it's really affecting my guard, is there any way to resolve this problem?

My trainer and some training partners have recommended doing some bag work, with really focusing on my guard, it never used to be a problem until recently.

But if anyone knows of any specific exercises I can do to counter-act this really annoying problem, I would be gratious,

2. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

What do you do besides sparring in your routine? ANy weight lifting? Any bw stuff, like pullups/chins?

Also what you mean exactly that your shoulders feel heavy? Are you getting tired and your shoulders fatiguing or they feel slow to respond while sparring?

3. flak

flak Guest

First thing I'd check is whether you have unnecessary muscle tension in your shoulders when you spar. That can wear you out quick. Can you ask your coach or someone else knowledgeable (a trainer, an advanced fighter) to watch you spar? Also, try to monitor yourself.

If it's not muscle tension, you may need to improve the endurance strength in your front delts to help keep your hands up. Some things you can do include shadow boxing with 1 lb. dumbbells or 16 oz. gloves, and high-rep delt exercises with 1 lb. or 2 lbs. dumbbells.

4. ZisDeadBaby

ZisDeadBaby Guest

technique.

5. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

Last night it was only shadow boxing, then done 5 2 minute rounds sparring, and about halfway through the third, they felt really heavy, thus leading to lowering my guard.

6. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

My trainer says it's not that, the second para about the endurance strength sounds reasonable, like I say, it's only up until recently I've been having this problem, every where else is fine on my body, my breathing is good, my kicks and knees are fine, even when clinching I still can hold my own, with bigger guys in the gym.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate this.

7. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

More info?