Question: UFC on Trilogies and Quadologies?

DethridgeMMA

White Belt
Reaction score
I just have a question that I am having a hard time find any answers to.

I vaguely remember Dana saying something about the UFC will never have fighers fight each other more than 3 times, BUT I am not sure, I could be making it up for all I know.

So my question is just that. Has the UFC ever had more than a Trilogy? What is the UFC position on having a Quadogy (Just sounds silly and I am sure they would want to avoid it). Is it a set rule by the UFC or Commission that they are not allowed to have more than 3 fights or is it just bad for business having the same two fighters fighting each other?

FYI- More curious now after reading threads on Cain and JDS and how shallow the HW division is.

Last edited:
Quadologies are forbidden except for Frankie Edgar who is permitted to have immediate octologies if need be.

It's basically just because how many times could you really want to see two guys fight each other?

It's basically just because how many times could you really want to see two guys fight each other?

Well exactly my point but again was thinking about Cain vs JDS. If JDS or Cain lose and they work their way back (being a pretty shallow devision) are the allowed to have a 4th fight? Was always curious and again, can't be sure, but I think I heard Dana say there are no 4th fights.

You complete a trilogy and thats it? Rule or rule of thumb?

Arlovski and Sylvia fought 4 times, but only 3 were in the UFC. It's definitely not a commission policy or anything like that.
Aside from that I can't thing of any Quadologies.

Arlovski and Sylvia fought 4 times, but only 3 were in the UFC. It's definitely not a commission policy or anything like that.
Aside from that I can't thing of any Quadologies.

Yes that is true and I did know that. I guess I should specified in a single organization. I really can't see it being a commission thing. If it was I would assume it would have to be through the same commission, and the only reason they wouldn't allow it is sanctioning the same fighters 4 times.

I dunno now I am just confusing myself :eek:

Well exactly my point but again was thinking about Cain vs JDS. If JDS or Cain lose and they work their way back (being a pretty shallow devision) are the allowed to have a 4th fight? Was always curious and again, can't be sure, but I think I heard Dana say there are no 4th fights.

You complete a trilogy and thats it? Rule or rule of thumb?

Idk about mma. Happens all the time in boxing, though.
When Marquez knocked out Pacqiao last year, that was their 4th fight. And he was 0-2-1 against Pac at that point.

Have Melendez and Thomson fought four times?

Idk about mma. Happens all the time in boxing, though.
When Marquez knocked out Pacqiao last year, that was their 4th fight. And he was 0-2-1 against Pac at that point.

Have Melendez and Thomson fought four times?

I would assume that boxing and MMA have the same sanctions for this type of thing. I'll go out on a limb and say it is a company policy to not have a quadology. But, policies can be broken/changed so I guess if it had to happen it could.

Melendez and Thomson could conceivably fight again.

Edit: Arlovski and Sylvia have fought 4 times

Arlovski and Sylvia have fought 4 times

Yeah, but the last one wasn't in the UFC. It was really just a company saying "what are two notable HWs not in the UFC" and having them fight, and it just happened to be two guys that already fought 3 times.

Im pretty sure DAna said jds and cain would most likely fight more than 3 times. it was their last fight.

Edgar and Maynard still have unfinished business, and an even record against each other 1-1-1.

Junior vs Cain will be the exception if they keep trading wins back and forth. It doesn't matter how it happens, that fight will keep selling big if it stays an even rivalry. Junior fought his fight the first time, Cain silenced the doubters by fighting his fight the second time, now Junior has to put in a stellar performance to warrant a fourth fight. Trust me when I say, if this fight ends up being a barn burner of a competitive war with Junior taking the W there will be a 4th fight.

I'm not sure if it's banned but it's just impracticable. Usually a trilogy is enough to settle something. Do you really need to see any fighters fight four times? I don't think there should be four fight series but it shouldn't be banned. If for example JDS earns his way to a fourth fight after losing to Cain so be it but most of the time this is prevented by one of the fighters being upset.

Im pretty sure DAna said jds and cain would most likely fight more than 3 times. it was their last fight.

He absolutely did. Said he could see them fighting 4-5 times.

Yeah, but the last one wasn't in the UFC. It was really just a company saying "what are two notable HWs not in the UFC" and having them fight, and it just happened to be two guys that already fought 3 times.

I'm aware not all their fights were contested in the UFC.

Back