question regarding bench routine

BLACKHAWK3634

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Allright, I am 17 (5'10 150lbs) and have had about 9 months of powerlifting experience while prepping for football in the past. I am not playing this year but am getting back into lifting. I'm looking to put on some weight and add as much strenght as possible. My question is in regards to what program i should use for benching. I am currently using this program which i hijacked from my football days. 135x10 155x5 175x4 185x3 205x2 with my last set being about 90% of my max (i do this once a week). Is this program contingent with my goals? and should i be hitting close to my one rep max every week?

ps: can i also use this for deadlift and squats?

What exactly are you trying to achieve? I honestly don't think you need to do high reps if you are planning to powerlift.

mass = high intensity low reps. Do as many reps as you can of a high wieght three times a week. try to get the reps around 7,8. when you can do 8 reps pretty easily move up 10lbs. try to add 10lbs every two weeks. thats 6 wrkouts with same wieght. works great!

BabyPhenom said:
What exactly are you trying to achieve? I honestly don't think you need to do high reps if you are planning to powerlift.

I'm trying to put on muscle mass and increase my one rep max as well.

BLACKHAWK3634 said:
Allright, I am 17 (5'10 150lbs) and have had about 9 months of powerlifting experience while prepping for football in the past. I am not playing this year but am getting back into lifting. I'm looking to put on some weight and add as much strenght as possible. My question is in regards to what program i should use for benching. I am currently using this program which i hijacked from my football days. 135x10 155x5 175x4 185x3 205x2 with my last set being about 90% of my max (i do this once a week). Is this program contingent with my goals? and should i be hitting close to my one rep max every week?

ps: can i also use this for deadlift and squats?

I had this training system for benching where you use percentages and within a month or so your benching strengh becomes alot higher.. My 100% the fist time I was doing it was at 145 Lbs and by the end I was packing 205 Lbs as my max and started over again getting to now 220 Lbs... I'l try and find it for you.. Just PM me and I can get it for you by monday if not tuesday.. possibly this weekend if I can find the papers in my heap of a mess...lol

5,4,3,2,1 rep scheme. 1 not being your max of course. 1 workout
5x5 the next workout
10x2 your next. Alternate between workouts. Don't max out. But slowly add weight and ease up on your 3rd week into it

look in the stickies blackhawk

Back