Question regarding adding weight to Dips/Pushups

Staring At Fate

Refuse To Lose.
Reaction score
If I start at 5 pounds how much a week should I be adding to not make it to hard but keep me at a steady progression rate?

I just started adding weight to my dips this Monday and I plan on adding 2.5 pounds a week. I thought about adding 5 pounds a week but I figure slower progress would be better because I should be able to sustain it longer. I would recommend 2.5 pounds a week.

I just started adding weight to my dips this Monday and I plan on adding 2.5 pounds a week. I thought about adding 5 pounds a week but I figure slower progress would be better because I should be able to sustain it longer. I would recommend 2.5 pounds a week.

Exactly what I was thinking out doing maybe even three pounds.

Bill Starr's 5x5 adds 5 lbs every week to pull ups, doing them once per week. If thats any help.

it depends on the person. some people adapt faster than others. If you can add 5 pounds go for it, if not, try a lighter weight. you should be shooting to try to keep the rep range around the same but with a higher weight. like say you can do 10 dips with 25pounds in week 1, and increase the weight to 30 pounds the next, when you hit 10 reps with 30, then it's time to increase to 35. That is just an example.

Ive just been adding weights to my dips and chin ups for over a month and have added a decent amount of weight. What I do is aim for 5 reps per set and 3 sets per week. 3 times a week. Everytime I reach 5 reps with a weight I add 1lb. Sometimes adding 2.5lbs if its the next workout.

For example. Monday I did dips with 125.5,126.5,127.5 so on wedensday I started off with 130.

With this system Ive been able to add over 40lbs to my chin ups and 65lbs to my dips in a lil over a month. Hope that helps some.

Ive just been adding weights to my dips and chin ups for over a month and have added a decent amount of weight. What I do is aim for 5 reps per set and 3 sets per week. 3 times a week. Everytime I reach 5 reps with a weight I add 1lb. Sometimes adding 2.5lbs if its the next workout.

For example. Monday I did dips with 125.5,126.5,127.5 so on wedensday I started off with 130.

With this system Ive been able to add over 40lbs to my chin ups and 65lbs to my dips in a lil over a month. Hope that helps some.

How much do you weigh? How do you employ the weight to your dips? dip-belt with plates?

If you're already using a dip belt, why bother with 1lb ankle weights?

Because I dont have any 1lbs plates and I like to add one pound at a time. It makes it easier for me to adjust and continue to increase the weight...so far.

Back