Question on Starting Strength

pepsihulk

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to start on Starting Strength for rugby. I play as a winger. However i can only lift monday and friday, and from what i ve read about SS is that it is 3 days. Can someone tell me if i should just do workout A on monday and B on friday, and repeat the next week. thank you.

Better than nothing are you sure there's no way you can fit in three days.

yeah, i have practices on tuesday and thursday nights, games on wednesday night.

Well I would think a Thursday Saturday Monday may be possible if you throw in some contrast showering and some good recovery ideas. I think you could try that but if still not then two a week sounds doable how long is rugby season?

well im playing for a club during the summer ( im only 17), and school rugby 7s start in fall, and 15s starts in january(training) and games start in may

So youre pretty busy there. I think if you can squeeze in three times a day now it sounds like this is the easiest time as summer ball isn't as busy or important? correct. Definently utilize all the breaks you get in between schedules. If you try to squeeze in three a day be careful to read youre body and if something hurts take it a little easy that week. You want to avoid injury.
Can you post youre weekly schedule, is you're rugby n the morning or evening?

of course. for summer its just tuesday and thursdays nights are practice from 6:30 to 8:30-9ish. Games nights start at like 7 to 7:30ish and end at 8:45ish.

Oh it sounds like you could definitely fit in three days during the summer.

oh thanks man. Im just worried that sessions from monday and thursday would affect practice, well not as much as monday, as thursdays are generally conditioning. Also worried about being stiff or sore for game days.

Cold baths, contrast showers should help. I don't think it wont interfere to much game day SS never made me sore except for the first week. So maybe do it twice the first week then go for three the next week. This is my unprofessional advice.

thanks a lot man, appreciate it. final question, would this slow me down or actually make me faster, and what about diet?

Ive heard people mention that they gained weight and got a faster 40 meter on SS. From what I heard as well is that the beginning of a sprint is highly dependent on strength and power but I could definitely be wrong. If you dont gain weight I would assume you would get faster almost guaranteed.

Diet depends on what you want to do, gaining weight is usually advised when doing SS but if for some reason you dont want to then its more complicated. Seeing you have a busy schedule gaining weight seems to make recovery easier (assumption). So do you want to gain weight and how much do you weigh now and how tall are you?

i do find that weight is an issue as tackling some big wingers are a huge problem so yes weight would be ideal, im around 158-160.

Alright first do you like milk, GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) is typical on SS. Once again how tall are you? If you're on a serious gain diet usually its quantity>quality according to alot of lifters and coaches. So eat whatever gets you those calories to get bigger. Start a log here so you can journal you're progress.

If you havent read the book look up this
Starting Strength Wiki

That should help you with some things if you haven't seen it yet but definitely buy the book.

oh right i forgot, im around 5'9-10 ish. thanks, and the weight increases on lifts would be adding 10 lbs to deads and squats, 5lbs on bench and press right? what about the clean and press.

I love milk, but would i gain a lot of fat from the mass eating that i will be doing?

The weight load schedule is in the link, yes you will almost inevitably gain fat by going on a weight gain diet but this will come off you once you gain the weight (according to Rip). Dont worry about the fat it wont hold you back as much as youre thinking.

Heres an example of one of Rips clients who been straight gaining weight.
Zach Update - Starting Strength Forums

Do what you can, dude. Two days of lifting is better than no days. And starting strength is an A/B workout anyway.

Back