Question on Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Why didn't Herb Dean stop the action to give Meathead his Mouthpiece?

They were standing up. So he could stop the action to give it back to him!

I don't know if it would affect the outcome of the fight, but I am sure Matt was not that happy to be hit in the kisser without it!

because they were still engaging. Herb was waiting for a stall in the action to call timeout. If the ref interrupted the fighters while theyre engaged 1) fighters & fans would bitch at him 2) anytime a fighter wants a timeout, they could purposely lose the mouthpiece

because they were still engaging. Herb was waiting for a stall in the action to call timeout. If the ref interrupted the fighters while theyre engaged 1) fighters & fans would bitch at him 2) anytime a fighter wants a timeout, they could purposely lose the mouthpiece

a fighter gets warned and eventual point loss if mouth piece if the ref thinks they are purposefully letting the mouthpiece fall out.

a fighter gets warned and eventual point loss if mouth piece if the ref thinks they are purposefully letting the mouthpiece fall out.

exactly.
But they were standing and not really engaged after herb picked the Mouth Piece.
The punches was sporadic, and herb could easily stop once they separated, give it back to Matt and restarted the fight!

I was screaming at the TV for him to do so :D

I just don't understand what stopped him!

It's bad for business

Herb Dean knew he had to do everything in his power to make sure Big Country won

I don't know what you guys are arguing about but the first poster was right. Watch more fights, and you will see the same thing. The ref doesn't step into the middle of an engagement to give the mouthpiece back

I don't know what you guys are arguing about but the first poster was right. Watch more fights, and you will see the same thing. The ref doesn't step into the middle of an engagement to give the mouthpiece back

Take the thumb up your ass and watch the fight and you will notice they were not "engaged" as you put!

They traded punches and took step backs.
Rinse/repeat

When Roy (or Matt) took that step back, he could have stopped the action.

They were going on a good exchange of punches when it happen. It would be wrong timing if he would step in and stop the action. 5 seconds later, Nelson dropped Meathead

Take that finger out of your nose and think about it a second longer dingus. Roy Nelson had him backed up against the cage and was looking for an oppening. They were engageed.

If Roy Nelson stood up and reset in the center of the ring, that would be the time to give him his moputh piece back. Watch more fights nub

Take that finger out of your nose and think about it a second longer dingus. Roy Nelson had him backed up against the cage and was looking for an oppening. They were engageed.

If Roy Nelson stood up and reset in the center of the ring, that would be the time to give him his moputh piece back. Watch more fights nub

There was a few pauses, he could of gave him the mouthpiece. It's a legitimate question.

There was a moment where he nearly stood in but backed away quickly.

Personally, any time a mouth piece falls out it should be stopped, Meathead's lucky he didn't lose any teeth.

There was a few pauses, he could of gave him the mouthpiece. It's a legitimate question.

I answered it fairly the first time. There were pauses, as in no one was in the act of throwing a punch. Otherwise, they were obviously still engaged. And the fact that Roy knocked him out like 10 seconds later tells me the ref was right not to intervene

yeah but at the same time it would have been a pretty big advantage for meathead. i could be wrong but shortly before being ko'd meathead took a big punch to the cheek/eye that bothered him quite a bit. i looked to me like he was in trouble after that shot and any stoppage would have given him a big advantage.

its a legit question but there wasnt really a neutral pause imo

Back