Question on feet

Token7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see a lot of posters here favor the lead foot on the inside vs someone in an opposite stance to to he eaten center. Not saying I disagree but what are the main things to keep in mind when your foot is on the outside? Whether by design or by nature??? There has to be things you can do with your foot on the outside to dominate your opponent also. I don't want to be the one trick fighter who can only fight with their foot on the inside although I have tried it and like it.

Just looking to experiment, that's all.

I disagree. There really isnt a stronger angle than the outside angle, unless your absurdly around your opp, which doesn't happen a lot.

I think they were pointing out another, less utilized angle. If you keep going for the same angle you become predictable. Use Both. I look for both of them at different times. Typically I go for the outside angle when im moving in offensively and go for the inside angle as a counter. But there is no rule

There are folks who will give you a much better explanation than I can, but in general if you have the outside angle, you can attack while they have to turn to square up.
BUT! If you keep going for the outside angle, your opponent can easily achieve an inside angle that puts you in a vulnerable position.
Vice versa is true. In a chess match, you and your opponent will be fighting for a dominant angle that is always shifting and changing. If he's fighting for the outside angle,ms witch up and hit him from the inside. If he's trying to get the inside, angle off and move to the outside.
Neither angle is inherently better than the other, it's just a matter what opportunities you are given based off of what your opponent does (or does not) do.

There are folks who will give you a much better explanation than I can, but in general if you have the outside angle, you can attack while they have to turn to square up.
BUT! If you keep going for the outside angle, your opponent can easily achieve an inside angle that puts you in a vulnerable position.
Vice versa is true. In a chess match, you and your opponent will be fighting for a dominant angle that is always shifting and changing. If he's fighting for the outside angle,ms witch up and hit him from the inside. If he's trying to get the inside, angle off and move to the outside.
Neither angle is inherently better than the other, it's just a matter what opportunities you are given based off of what your opponent does (or does not) do.

Exactly this.

I see a lot of posters here favor the lead foot on the inside vs someone in an opposite stance to to he eaten center. Not saying I disagree but what are the main things to keep in mind when your foot is on the outside? Whether by design or by nature??? There has to be things you can do with your foot on the outside to dominate your opponent also. I don't want to be the one trick fighter who can only fight with their foot on the inside although I have tried it and like it.

Just looking to experiment, that's all.

this sounds the wrong way round. i don't know anyone that favours the inside in a southpaw-orthodox fight. you need to be handy on the inside angle in case you find yourself there, but on the whole, if my power arc is facing into you, and i'm on the outside, yours is going to be nowhere near me pointing the other direction. if you're on the inside like that, it's a horrible place to be generally and you're one step behind cos you need to readjust. fighters like petrosyan seem to thrive and drop bombs on the inside in that situation, but he's exceptional at what he does.

and yeah, as others have said, don't be obvious about it. it's good to hide your steps and movement so they find themselves in a shit position, not just that you're both circling aimlessly trying to find it.

wait, have i bungled up "opposite stance" with "mirrored stance"? if it's orthodox-orthodox you guys are referring too, i guess i don't really have much to say on the matter is its uncommon for me

This makes a ton of sense to me now and I'm starting to feel like I get the idea of angles a bit better

Why is everyone saying that inside angle is just as good as outside angle?

In a match between an orthodox and a southpaw, your foot should always be looking for the outside. It is not so simple to maneuver while being an inside to have an advantage since a simple knee or elbow from your opponent will give you even more to be frightened about.

It's not even that outside angle is better than the inside angle, it's that the inside angle is a straight up disadvantage. That angle is how Saenchai keeps beating everybody, since he looks for the outside angle.

Back