Question on Early Tyson's Jab Mechanics

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by NVSemin, Oct 13, 2013.

1. NVSemin

NVSemin Orange Belt

Why Tyson seems to step more to the side when jabbing, instead of throwing all the weight forward?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What exact muscle group did he use to drive the punch?

I feel he did not extend the left shoulder towards the target, rather just extend and twist the arm, snapping the punch

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

His left shoulder definitely extends towards the target. Probably more so than a regular jab.

3. shpboris

shpboris Blue Belt

I believe it had more to do with him anticipating the counter and wisely moving out of the way ...

He would also do this sequence a lot - throw quick\light jab from straight position, then slip\move left to avoid the counter, then throw heavy jab exactly as those on your GIF's ...

4. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

As far as how he throws his jab, i'd say it's more similar to the mechanics of a rising or up jab. He throws it low and it rises up from below the opponents guard. Tailor made for a person of his stature, as Tyson was going to be trading regular jabs anytime soon with the guys he was fighting.

He sidesteps with it because D'amato probably drilled into him that he has to move his head with every punch. Which is true with the jab. You don't want to throw your jab, have it return and still having your head in the same place. That little step gets his head out of the way. Tyson always slipped after every jab.

5. Nicslagan

Nicslagan Purple Belt

He's jabbing and slipping almost in one motion. He moves to the side with it a little in the pictures but would move different ways for different situations. He and other boxers throw jabs without turning their body completely and then later in the fight make their jab longer by turning more. He's just jabbing and weaving.

6. NVSemin

NVSemin Orange Belt

Tnx for everybody's effort

Of course, Tyson threw different jabs, so to make it clear, I am talking about this particular jab from pics above

I feel that
    1) he begins thee punch from the hips, twisting a bit. This create tension in the upper body
    2) Then he add torso twist by bringing the right shoulder slightly backwards. This protrudes the left shoulder forward
    3) Then he snaps at the torso and the shoulder, throwing the fist forward
    4) Because the hip twist, he naturally moves more to the side, than forward. He Raises the moves to the side his front leg
    5) He deliberately inclines the torso with the head to the left to get out of the line of the attack like some people mentioned
    6) he lands the punch while landing the left feet and stopping the body motion to transfer the mass to the fist
    7) Immediately weaves to the left, sometimes raising the right leg for balance

What do ya think?

7. Babba

Babba Purple Belt

i think ur overanalyzing something that can be seen pretty clearly in the gifs youve provided..

8. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

He's jabbing and moving/slipping to the left.

Moving left and forwards to attack the inside angle and avoids the jab, slipping to avoid the straight or a later jab. Doin what he needs to do.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  9. hell wall

hell wall Blue Belt

You can jab with left and slip right at almost the same time as well...I like this combination of movment a lil better.... try and see which one is more favorable to your style

10. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

The notion that everybody moves forward with their jab is what's referred to as having an "uneducated jab".

All punches snap the arm, adding the trunk rotation is discretional.

11. apizur**

Here's a good MMA example:
    [​IMG]

Notice how he throws proper jabs, the shoulder snap is in the punch but he has enough freedom to reconfigure his position and angle?
    The jabbing is keeping his opponent back and his mind on defense. Meanwhile, he's leading the dance.

Educated jab.

EDIT: there's a thread on angles and footwork, lots of GIFs. I'm sure there'd be a ton of examples of people using the jab properly to set up real punches/kicks.

12. a guy

a guy Black Belt

This. It's great to break things down into pieces but if you go too small you lose sight of the big picture. He's just jabbing and moving; avoiding the counter and trying to establish dominant positions. The weight goes forward then to the side out of the way. Kind of like a dipping jab, but to the other side and the slip is slightly delayed versus built into the movement.

13. shpboris

shpboris Blue Belt

Why do you think it is bad to move with the jab ? I believe, for shorter guys it is almost a must ...

14. apizur**

I apologize, I forgot a very important word.

The notion that everybody ONLY moves forward with their jab is the uneducated concept.

The jab can come off the rear or front foot. Newbs must feel their back foot on the ground, and must lift their front foot to comfortably throw a jab. It's a n00b jab.