Question on article about Kennelly - Posted by Seanzilla

Oblivian

Aging
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seanzilla posted the following article a little while back in another thread with Kennelly about increasing your bench from 225 lbs to 315 lbs.
Hardcore Powerlifting

Essentially, it's a program doing 8 sets x 3 reps at 45% of your 1 RM and increasing 5% for a week. Once you reach 75%, you drop down to 4 sets. He says you should be able to do your previous 1RM (100%) 3 times by the time you reach that mark (12 weeks?).

I was thinking about incorporating this into a full routine lifting 4 days a week. Each day would focus on one lift follow the above set/rep routine for the following lifts: Bench, Deadlift, Front Squat (I don't have a power rack so I front squat), and Power Cleans. I'd probably through in one or two assistance lifts depending on how the day goes.

Any thoughts on this? I recently just hit my plateau and figured I might try something new. I would think that if this rep/set routine works for bench, then it should work for everything else.

epic_fail.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, the lesson is, never try.

?

I'm lost here. I lost my wireless signal when I tried posting this. I figured it didn't post, and judging by the responses something funny must have happened. Now I can read the post fine. Is the question that ridiculous or was it something with my posting?

?

I'm lost here. I lost my wireless signal when I tried posting this. I figured it didn't post, and judging by the responses something funny must have happened. Now I can read the post fine. Is the question that ridiculous or was it something with my posting?

It created 4 identical threads.

Turn off your PC, and bask at your awesomeness.

It created 4 identical threads.

Turn off your PC, and bask at your awesomeness.

Apologies on that. Did I get any answers or comments in any of the 4 threads?

I think everyone just made fun of you in this one before a mod deleted the other 3 you made.

As for the program, it looks like a basic progressive loading scheme. I'm not sure why you would start at only 45%, that is less than what I would do for my first warm up set and I could probably rep it 50 times.

I think everyone just made fun of you in this one before a mod deleted the other 3 you made.

As for the program, it looks like a basic progressive loading scheme. I'm not sure why you would start at only 45%, that is less than what I would do for my first warm up set and I could probably rep it 50 times.

That's sort of what I was thinking. If I chose to do the routine, I was going to throw in one other lift during the first few weeks doing 3 x 3. I was thinking SOHP, Weighted Chins/Pullups, BOR, etc. in order to make it feel like I got some work in. The first 4 weeks would almost seem like a waste of time if I didn't do that.
Would it be a better idea to start at 75% and move up? This would be starting where the set/rep routine would be 4 sets of 3 reps. I've actually been able to do 93.5% of my 1RM 3 times. The last two weeks of the routine would be breaking my plateau.
I know I'd be really pissed if I did the entire routine and did not make any gains. It just seems like such light work for the first few weeks.

That was my thinking too. Ryan Kenelly knows a whole lot more about benching than I do, however. Look up some Ed Coan program ideas. Ed did progressive overload his lifting career, and has some schemes floating around the internet. Usually something like 2 weeks of working up to heavy sets of 8, 3 weeks of 5's, 2 weeks of 3's, 2 weeks of 2's, a deload and then max singles.

That was my thinking too. Ryan Kenelly knows a whole lot more about benching than I do, however. Look up some Ed Coan program ideas. Ed did progressive overload his lifting career, and has some schemes floating around the internet. Usually something like 2 weeks of working up to heavy sets of 8, 3 weeks of 5's, 2 weeks of 3's, 2 weeks of 2's, a deload and then max singles.

Thanks. I found his set/rep routine to be something that makes more sense. I am going to try that out and see how it works.
My plan was to lift 4 days a week doing that set/rep routine for one lift on each day (Bench, Front Squat, Deadlift, Power Cleans). I'm worried that around week 7 (88% 1 RM x 2 x 5) and week 10 (100% 1RM x 2 x 2) would be too much. We'll see how it goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back