Question on 12 gauge shotgun capacity

Big Nasty Edison

Excellence of execution belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quick question if one of you guys can answer for me. I'm reading that my Remington 870 currently has a 3 shell capacity. My question is does this mean that the capacity of "three total" means one in the chamber (correct me if wrong terminology) and 2 in the magazine? Or should the "capacity" listed mean 3 in the magazine which would mean it's really 3+1 if you load one into the chamber?

I picked up some dummy shells off amazon to just to practice safe loading and unloading with and I can only fit two shells in the magazine tube. The third one only goes in half way. The magazine plug was very long if I recall. I'm at work so I can't break down the whole thing and it was late when I opened the package of dummy shells last night.

EDIT
I know there are magazine tube extensions to go up to 7 + shells but I don't really need that personally. Just two in the tube and one chambered seemed a little light.

Last edited:
Should be 3+1. Capacity usually refers to mag size.

Make sure you're using 2-3/4" shells, longer ones will obviously not fit to full capacity.

Should be 3+1. Capacity usually refers to mag size.

Make sure you're using 2-3/4" shells, longer ones will obviously not fit to full capacity.

That's what I thought on the shell size, but I checked the product and it said it's 2-3/4'' so I will take the mag tube apart and see what's up.

Check for a magazine plug in the tube. Most Remington's are 3 in the tube and one in the chamber. Also Remington added dimples to the tubes to make adding extensions a pain in the ass on the Express and some other models. Needs a gunsmith or someone with Dremel skills...

Check for a magazine plug in the tube. Most Remington's are 3 in the tube and one in the chamber. Also Remington added dimples to the tubes to make adding extensions a pain in the ass on the Express and some other models. Needs a gunsmith or someone with Dremel skills...

Thanks. Maybe I'll play it safe and just take it by a gunsmith if I can't clear the problem.

I thought most 870s were 4 in the tube and one in the chamber unless they were plugged to the federal waterfowl 3 plus 1

I thought most 870s were 4 in the tube and one in the chamber unless they were plugged to the federal waterfowl 3 plus 1
Just double checked your right should be 4 in the mag on most 870 models. My bad.

This is what I felt like the gun was set up for. Either way something is wrong.

I'll update with how it goes.

Unscrew the cap and look and see if there is a dowel or a plastic piece in there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sho...ved=0ahUKEwjnz_PBr5fRAhXHJiYKHXtDBeMQ_AUIBygC

Yeah there's a long green rod in there, fitted inside the spring.

Looks like this.

10067719.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Take that out unless you are hunting waterfowl

I removed the green plug and now it holds four 2-3/4'' shells. Seems to be in line with info from Remington's site.

Overview
The capacity for the number of shells a Model 870 Super Magnum will hold depends on the size shells being used.

The Model 870 Super Magnum has a magazine capacity of:
3 when using 3 1/2" shells
4 when using 3" shells
4 when using 2 3/4" shells

https://support.remington.com/02_PU..._shells_will_the_Model_870_Super_Magnum_hold?

Thanks for helping a newb out guys.

3 shells total or 2+1 is the rule for hunting migratory birds

Back