Question of BJJ Belt system?

CollarTie

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Does the BJJ ranking system place more exphasis on experience, or talent? For example, if a while belt is submitting good blue belts, and giving purple belts a hard time, would they make it to blue belt quicker than the average student? Or do they both get their new belt at the same time? Sorry, I've only recently started BJJ and am a huge noob.

Also, so I don't have to make another thread, I've got another question. As a wrestler I'm constantly taught to be aggressive, and wrestling overall is very fast paced. That doesn't really seem to be the case in BJJ, so should I use the same aggressiveness, or will it only lead me to trouble?

Last edited:
It is unlikely that a white belt can do such performance.

But yes, it should be promoted faster.

Does the BJJ ranking system place more exphasis on experience, or talent? For example, if a while belt is submitting good blue belts, and giving purple belts a hard time, would they make it to blue belt quicker than the average student? Or do they both get their new belt at the same time? Sorry, I've only recently started BJJ and am a huge noob.

Conceivably yes. That being said, it would matter why this white belt is giving people a hard time.

Is this person a former D-1 wrestler that still hasn't developed a BJJ game and the techniques? Is this person a former college defensive lineman and uses the "hulk smash" theory of grappling?

Being about to beat people is only one of the indicators of achieved skill.

I had a teamate that got promoted to blue based on his success at the competition.

He might not know much about BJJ skills and techniques BUT it was not fair for us to still make him compete as a white belt any longer.

Could he win a match? Yes. could he teach you how to do an armbar from the closed guard? No.

Also, so I don't have to make another thread, I've got another question. As a wrestler I'm constantly taught to be aggressive, and wrestling overall is very fast paced. That doesn't really seem to be the case in BJJ, so should I use the same aggressiveness, or will it only lead me to trouble?

I think it varies greatly from school to school really.

It all really varies from academy to academy.

In my academy, there were two white belts with 3 years of experience who got skipped over on a promotion whereas two others who had been training for less time but more consistently got it. What decides who gets promoted is a mixture of talent, dedication and experience, but imo most schools place more importance on dedication. If you show up for training 3 times a week and the other guy shows up once, chances are you'll get promoted faster, nevermind the talent or the experience.

Oh, and don't be aggressive in training. It's called Arte Suave (the soft art) for a reason. Your teammates will thank you, nobody likes a spaz hurting them in practice. In competition though? Go ahead and break 'em in two, they'll be doing the same to you.

At our school it could be experience or talent or both. There's a good argument for each criteria, imo.

It's not for knowledge/experience or ability to win matches, it's a combination of both. End thread plz.

Back