Question - How to finish a fight from this position

outforthecount

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if I should post this in here because it's not striking from a standing position , more a case of one guy standing while the opponent is grounded and is probably a bit of a noob question , but due to having little martial arts knowledge is why Im asking..

It's probably dependent on who the fighters are and what their strengths are I would guess , but as a generalisation , who in the scenario (in the gif posted below) has the advantage and is it much of an advantage.... I don't see many fights ended from here and often the standing guy will just back off and allow the opponent to get back to his feet..

This gif is from Pettis against Roller in midweek..

rk27q0.gif

From what I've seen in fights , If the standing guy wants to work this position to his advantage he will often throw a few bombs , try to avoid getting caught with kicks and transition to a mounting position to dish out some ground and pound..

Is there a way to submit a guy when you are standing and have control of both his ankles..
I've never seen it done before from the limited number of fights that I've watched and often the guy on the deck seems little concerned about any danger , but still leaves me wondering if a fighter would be playing with fire if Palhares had him in this position..
Thanks for any replies..

Not sure if I should post this in here because it's not striking from a standing position , more a case of one guy standing while the opponent is grounded and is probably a bit of a noob question , but due to having little martial arts knowledge is why Im asking..

It's probably dependent on who the fighters are and what their strengths are I would guess , but as a generalisation , who in the scenario (in the gif posted below) has the advantage and is it much of an advantage.... I don't see many fights ended from here and often the standing guy will just back off and allow the opponent to get back to his feet..

rk27q0.gif

From what I've seen in fights , If the standing guy wants to work this position to his advantage he will often throw a few bombs , try to avoid getting caught with kicks and transition to a mounting position to dish out some ground and pound..

Is there a way to submit a guy when you are standing and have control of both his ankles..
I've never seen it done before from the limited number of fights that I've watched and often the guy on the deck seems little concerned about any danger , but still leaves me wondering if a fighter would be playing with fire if Palhares had him in this position..
Thanks for any replies..

sharpshooter

rk27q0.gif

Thanks for any replies..

I would say it depends on how good a grappler the guy standing is. There are 2 or three nasty leg locks and leg bars from that position. If the grounded guy is a solid BJJ type it can be hard to land in a good position from there, as he already has a guard in place. If the standing person is mostly a striker, it is a hard place to do much from under the Unified Rules.

thanks for the replies..

This is probably as close to the submission I was hoping to see , but still involves going to ground..

Standing ankle lock..

axe kick, round house to thighs, or front flip over his legs and land on him

Throw his legs away, soccer kicking and stomping if the rules allow it.

You can go for a leg lock, or dive in for a big punch, but that involves going to the ground with him.

Well, even though the guy standing can throw the legs out of the way and hope to land a bomb (Shogun/ Overeem, Doomsday Howard/ Roberts) or pass to side control, a guy with good jits & defense can neutralize this. As said before, there are some leg attacks from there, but for the most part it's a pretty neutral position. Just like always, there aren't any shortcuts in MMA

thanks for the replies..

This is probably as close to the submission I was hoping to see , but still involves going to ground..

Standing ankle lock..

You should step inbetween their legs so u can turn it into a knee bar or use hips to pressure their knee.

But you can always take the Silva approach and make the guy get back up. No reason to risk doing what Fedor did, right?

Back