Question from MMA fan

Godinski

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have limited knowledge about boxing but I have huge respect for the sport.

I would like to ask is there weight cutting before the fights in amateur boxing like in MMA.
If I got it right the LHW is max 91 kg as class and for example is it the same situation that the fighters are cutting weight before the fight and entering in the fight bigger like in MMA? Also I would appreciate some experience with names of the boxers so I could search later in net.
I'm speaking about amateur boxing (Olympic) only not pro.
Thanks for the answers.

weight cutting does take place. Usually not the drastic cuts you see in mma due to more weight classes with less weight between them. I forget who it was that was fighting but merchant was surprised that he weighed in 17 pounds heavier on fight night than weigh in the day before. In MMA that is about normal large weight cuts can almost double that.

Chavez JR is probably who you're thinking of.

There is weight cutting in amateur boxing but not on the same level that either amateur MMA or wrestling use it. Many amateur tournaments require same-day weigh in and sometimes multiple bouts; if you're trying to cut 15lbs, rehydrate, box and then cut 15lbs again you're going to be in trouble.

British boxing has had a few amateur weight issues in recent years. Coming into the 2012 games Andrew Selby and past-Olympian Khalid Yafai both had satisfied the qualifying criteria but boxed in the same weightclass. A best of three "box-off" was organised. Selby won the first but Yafai couldn't make weight for the second, giving Selby a 2-0 win in the series. I can't remember the exact stats for what Khalid Yafai started his cut at but it was the sort of figure that is generally considered at best "normal" in top level MMA and most likely on the small side.

Likewise, Frankie Gavin (a former amateur world champ) had to withdraw from the 2008 Olympics as he couldn't make weight.

The WBC puts on wieght cutting Limits before its fight. They will wieght fights weeks ouy before a fight and a fighter can't weight more than 10lbs over the limit 1 week before the fight i think.

I cut 1kg (cos I am a small guy) while most of my teammates cut 2-5kg max. The cut is barely noticeable and usually only consists of not having dinner the night prior and not drinking water on the actual day till you step onto the scales.

Most people have pointed out the reason why- for example, on my last bout I weighed in at 3pm and fought at 7pm. There isn't enough time to rebound and its already stressful enough especially when it comes to state comps- you really don't want to feel drained when you have a fight three nights in a row back to back :icon_chee

boxing and other striking sports require more technique, speed, focus and precision than MMA and since the grappling element is nonexistant or at least minimized(though there are some clinch bullies in boxing) -there is less reliance on significant weight advantage or brute strength therefore the weight cuts are less drastic.

inb4 jimmies r rustled.

Last edited:
boxing and other striking sports require more technique, speed, focus and precision than MMA and since the grappling element is nonexistant or at least minimized(though there are some clinch bullies in boxing) -there is less reliance on significant weight advantage or brute strength therefore the weight cuts are less drastic.

inb4 jimmies r rustled.

Still professional boxers cut a lot of weight. If you ever look at night of the fight weights vs weigh ins there is usually a very significant difference. Amateur boxing however as previously stated has the same day weigh ins and it is due to that that there is hardly weight cutting in am's.

In boxing generally most deaths are correlated to guys who had trouble making weight. Saw an interview with a doc who said its got to do with not enough fluid in the brain when guys drain themselves.

Back