1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Question from an mma fan

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by ryant0987, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ryant0987

ryant0987 White Belt

Iv heard bob arum and Toney I think call mma fighters glass chinned, do boxing fans agree with this and if so why do you think this is?

2. BR

BR Purple Belt

Compared to most top boxers I would agree. Watch the clean shots a lot of top boxers are hit with and see how many are KO'd by the types of punches that put down MMAs. Yeah, I know about the difference in Oz. in the gloves but if you took out the padding around the thumb and fingers you would basically have a glove not much bigger, if at all, than an MMA glove. The sherdog fan boys think that boxers use 12-16 oz gloves to fight when in reality its 8-10.

3. ryant0987

ryant0987 White Belt

I have noticed the shots boxers take and wondered how much the gloves factor into it, I do wonder why boxers generally can take bigger shots though?

4. itraintehot

itraintehot Brown Belt

it's a myth

5. ninjaunicorn

ninjaunicorn Green Belt

Personally, I believe it's because boxers do a lot of work with their neck muscles
    if your neck's strong, it acts as a good anchor for your head, reducing movement when you get hit by the big shots, and lessening the chance of a KO. Very rarely do I see MMA fighters in head harnesses, or doing neck rolls.

6. The Fan Man

The Fan Man Blue Belt

The difference in gloves factor in, but not in the way you think. The padding is pretty similar between the 6 oz Japanese MMA gloves and 10 oz boxing gloves, however the surface area is very different. The increased surface area of a boxing gloves has two effects on the felt power of a punch. One aspect is an increased surface area spreads the force of a punch over a larger area. The second factor is that a bigger glove allows the person taking the punch to ride the fist and spread the force over a larger amount of time.

Of course, good boxers train the ability to take a punch until it's instinct. Physically as ninjaunicorn pointed out, but also the technique to ride a punch. Many MMA guys tighten up when they take a punch rather than stay loose and roll with the fist. That calm can only come from training and experience.

7. LetUrHandsGo***

LetUrHandsGo*** Banned Banned

has nothing to do with the sport and/or level of athlete. It's like football, some guys take helmet on helmet collisions and get right up while others are down for the count and can't even make it back in to the game.

8. LetUrHandsGo***

huh? i know for a fact anyone in mma who was a former wrestler has done neck strengthening exercises since they were kids

9. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

Boxers and mixed martial artists aren't separate breeds of human. A mixed martial artist is just as capable of having as strong of a chin as a boxer has.

The only difference is that you aren't as likely to make it in boxing with a weak chin; you certainly will have a hell of a time reaching a top 10 position without remarkable speed and head-movement. In mixed martial arts, however, you can get away with having a weak chin by having a strong game in other areas.

10. Dragonstyle915

Dragonstyle915 Brown Belt

Hurry up and tell this to andre arlovski

11. Funky Fresh

Funky Fresh Blue Belt

actually the amount of pressure delivered from a boxing glove is about equal to the amount of pressure delivered by an mma glove

12. LetUrHandsGo***

not this argument again, hurry someone post a sports "science" clip

13. Astro Man

Astro Man Kid Blackie

First off, consider the sources. Boxing promoter and a self promoter.

To answer, boxers know how to roll with punches. Not many MMA really do. Silva does.

Still can't tell me Jones has a much better chin than Jardine though.

I think the smaller glove aspect of mma is factored in too much when talking about hard hits. What boxing gloves do is protect your hand a little more, giving you more freedom to punch heads when bare knuckle fighters would usually opt for the body.

14. The Fan Man

The Fan Man Blue Belt

The force (mass*acceleration) is about the same, the pressure (force/area) and power (work/time) are different however.

15. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

The next strong-breeze will tell him for me.

16. philthy rich**

philthy rich** Yellow Belt

if you have been sparring your whole life taking shots with headgear and sparring gloves you will develop a resistance to taking shots. if you are like brock lesnar and have never taken a shot you will not be able to handle getting hit in the mouth well like he did vs carwin

17. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Black Belt

this is the correct answer, even defensive masters get hit sometime and they can take it. if you get hurt easily in boxing, you aren't world class level, period.

18. Shot

Shot Brown Belt Platinum Member

This. I think a big part of it is the defense of boxers vs MMA fighters. Striking defense is still in a very primitive state in MMA, besides guys like AS, Machida, and Fedor who have incredible reflexes. Boxers know how to absorb the impact of shots rather than tightening up. It makes a big difference in how the punch is absorbed.

Prime Nog could pretty much take a flush shot from anyone. Look at the shots he took from Fedor and Crocop.

Just like how a ton of prime boxers could absorb shots greatly. It's more about how you recieve the shots and your genetics.

19. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

Boxers with glass chins get weeded out earlier. Most (top level) pro boxers have had 100+ amateur fights. Guys with glass jaws don't usually make it to the top.

Compare that to alot of mma fighters who come from backgrounds in bjj and wrestling and haven't got hit that much.

Boxers are able to roll their head with punches as a last resort, reducing the impact.

Also, a lot of MMA fights are guys throwing constant full power haymakers at their opponents who have no defense.

20. blacknight

blacknight Brown Belt

Because of the gloves.

I wanna see some pro-boxers go at it with 4oz MMA gloves.
    They'd be KOing each other left and right so theres no room for 40-0 records and no invincibility aura for anyone.

I wanna see if Floyd Mayweather can take a Takanori Gomi full windup Hadoken punch, no fucken way.