Question for those who are mad at Diego

I'm torn... That was the MOST illegal knee I'd seen since the Prelims.. and I do like Diego and didn't want to see him lose in front of his daughter... I mean did you see that GASH in his head? on the other hand, as a fan I kind of want fighters to put their health and their win/loss record in the toilet for my entertainment.... it's a tough call. ;)

Like I said in the other thread:

You can't put your knee down with your shin parallel to the floor.

DelightfulKindBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

But then that suggests that every time someone is poked in the eye or takes a groin shot, they should take the DQ win.
Guys shouldn’t cheat. He did the right thing. lol why is that so hard to comprehend for you guys

there’s no “honor” once these boys get paid to do this. It is business. And I’m glad he used his head and took the money and the win.
His Michel should have not cheated lol it’s that easy

It was the smartest thing to do, but where was the mean mugging, " I got the heart of a lion " Diego in that fight? His performance was lackluster, didn't do shit. He shouldn't have asked the doctor if the dude would get DQ'd, are you hurt and incapacitated? Or are you trying to win eventhough you totally doesn't deserve the win? Talking about Lionheart, Anthony Smith got knee'd in the face by Jones, didn't choose the easy way out, he continued and he still lost. Diego wanted a way out.

Anthony Smith eats illegal knee to his face when he's down against Jon Jones. Doesn't show any signs of concussion & tells ref to continue the fight and not stop it for what would of been a DQ win and a title change of hands. Dana, Jon, and all the UFC fans praise Smith for continuing and not being a coward.

Diego Sanchez eats illegal knee to the face, shows no signs of concussion, DELIBERATELY CHECKS WITH REF SAYING "if I can't continue it's a DQ right?" then goes "I cant see" lmaoooo

Sherdog and MMA fans: omg Diego is so smart what a great move. lmaooo make up your minds you clowns. Either you like it or you don't. If he was put out like Brok Weaver was that's one thing, but he was fine. That's what makes this a rough call. However at the end of the day, Diego isn't in this for beating top ranked fighters anymore, he's in to keep bringing in a paycheck and that was an easy way to get your win bonus in a fight you were getting whooped.
Thank you
These nerds need some light.

Manipulation of, even exploitation of, rules is part of every sport.

In basketball, players often put themselves in positions that draw certain fouls. Forcing charge calls, and 1 calls, etc.

In soccer, the infamous diving is also used as a tactic to get ahead.

List goes on.

My question is, why is what Diego did any different? As a sportsman, he found himself in a situation in which no rule was getting broken on his part and one which would result in him getting an automatic W.

He's in a serious sports competition, combat sport at that, down on score cards, and in a situation where realistically was his only chance to come out victorious.

Why the disapproval?

And for those who might feel comparing mma to these other sports isn't a fair comparison, let's compare it to recent Mma fights that had similar situations: Ben rothwell vs Stefan struve, and (the one that comes up in other topics too) Anthony Smith vs Jon Jones. It did neither guy any good to do the supposed "right thing."

There was zero incentive and zero reward after to continue. In all these cases. Why then is it so wrong what Diego did?
Run it back if that's a W

Why the disapproval?

1. It's not because what Diego did was inherently terrible. It's because it undercut the main reason people are Sanchez fans: his warrior mentality and heart. He isn't a great fighter anymore and has not been elite for a long while. But people still tune in for his fights because he is all heart and incredibly tough. He chose not to take the tough, all heart road in his last fight.

2. MMA more than other sports has an unwieldy and exploitable ruleset, mainly because of the need for government sanction. The fights last night were in a state that has failed to adopt a ruleset amended several years ago now. It's unreasonable. Any other sport would within a year or two would iron out rules that are as easily exploitable as the illegal strike rules in MMA. But it's a crazy uphill battle when it comes to make any sensible changes in MMA rules.

As a fan, I hate it. But as a person, I can totally understand why he would take the out. I mean it doubled his pay and it got the beating to stop
this sums it up well. He didn’t do any favors for the fans but he absolutely made the best decision for himself and his family.

As you said: a rule was broken. The consequence of that rule being broken and the victim of the rule break not being able to continue is a dq.

Why do you consider what Diego did as something disgraceful and not tactical instead?

I actually didn't know about the shit talking he did before though, so I see your point on that. And even the persona he puts on. It does make him look hypocritical indeed.
I'd bet 90% of the hate is gamblers pissed off pereira ruined their bet, and wanted Diego to continue for their financial gain.

It was cheap what he did, however I can't stand that Peirera guy, and he is not even fit for the fun fair, Peirera ended up clowning Peirera . cut him

Manipulation of, even exploitation of, rules is part of every sport.

In basketball, players often put themselves in positions that draw certain fouls. Forcing charge calls, and 1 calls, etc.

In soccer, the infamous diving is also used as a tactic to get ahead.

List goes on.

My question is, why is what Diego did any different? As a sportsman, he found himself in a situation in which no rule was getting broken on his part and one which would result in him getting an automatic W.

He's in a serious sports competition, combat sport at that, down on score cards, and in a situation where realistically was his only chance to come out victorious.

Why the disapproval?

And for those who might feel comparing mma to these other sports isn't a fair comparison, let's compare it to recent Mma fights that had similar situations: Ben rothwell vs Stefan struve, and (the one that comes up in other topics too) Anthony Smith vs Jon Jones. It did neither guy any good to do the supposed "right thing."

There was zero incentive and zero reward after to continue. In all these cases. Why then is it so wrong what Diego did?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it from a business sense. Other than that though I do find plenty wrong with a fighter famed for his toughness rather meekly looking for a way out. Hope that wasn't Diego's last fight in the UFC as it would be a sad end for a hall of famer.

Because he robbed a win of a guy who was winning every round solidly.
Obviously a rule was broken with the knee to a grounded opponent. But that rule is pretty silly overall if thought about and is more based in the UFC's concerns of marketing to a "wider audience" rather than actual safety.

Diego wasn't even hurt from the knee. He faked an injury after putting on a tough guy act (Talking shit to Till who expressed having a panic attack prior to the Kelvin fight) all to get the win. Pretty disgraceful to me.
The rules are the rules. And lol at the knee didn't hurt him. He ate it flush while basically in the fetal position and it busted him open. Not a grazing blow.

Just because some people feel ufc should have pride rules, doesn't change that it IS illegal.

Uhhh duh.

he’s supposed to. That hit was illegal and he was bleeding. He did the thing that 100% of fighters should do
By that token do you think any accidental crotch shot should immediately result in a DQ, or an eye poke, or any foul, or is it only if the foul draws blood as well? I fundamentally disagree with your point of view . Weaver was clearly concussed, Diego clearly was capable of continuing and chose not to, as I said previously a smart business decision but not one you'd expect from a fighter famed for his toughness. Based on his performance might be time to call it a day.

By that token do you think any accidental crotch shot should immediately result in a DQ, or an eye poke, or any foul, or is it only if the foul draws blood as well? I fundamentally disagree with your point of view . Weaver was clearly concussed, Diego clearly was capable of continuing and chose not to, as I said previously a smart business decision but not one you'd expect from a fighter famed for his toughness. Based on his performance might be time to call it a day.
We aren’t talking a crotch shot. We are talking about an illegal blow to the SKULL they BUSTED HIS HEAD OPEN.

Don’t be daft.

We aren’t talking a crotch shot. We are talking about an illegal blow to the SKULL they BUSTED HIS HEAD OPEN.

Don’t be daft.
You're talking semantics. An eye poke can be equally if not more so debilitating than a knee strike, simple fact is he was cleared by the Doctor to continue and chose not to, smart business decision sure, but he looked for and took a DQ win which given Diego's existing reputation and to quote the man himself, when he was taunting Darren Till, was downright "pussy shit" and not befitting a hall of famer known for his toughness.

exactly this....starting with that peacock thing he was doing. wtf was that....then the weird blowing out is bottom lip thing after the face off....wtf was that? if diego is going to have any chance at all of winning, he needs a legit camp....
He plummeted before leaving Jackson Wink.

Then again Jackson Wink plummeted before he left.

Is anyone left there that isn't declining?

A stipulation for the result to be ruled a dq, the illegal maneuver has to be deemed intentional by the ref.

Most eye pokes and crotch shots are deemed unintentional by the refs and so don't fit the criteria. However if it one was to be super blatantly intentional, and ref deems it as such, no reason not to rule it a dq win for victim of the rule break if they can't continue.

As others said: rules are rules

Diving in soccer is a violation of the rules, or simply poor sportsmanship, mostly unpunished but it can get a yellow warning if the reff is not messing around.

Back