Question for those who are mad at Diego

Because he robbed a win of a guy who was winning every round solidly.
Obviously a rule was broken with the knee to a grounded opponent. But that rule is pretty silly overall if thought about and is more based in the UFC's concerns of marketing to a "wider audience" rather than actual safety.

Diego wasn't even hurt from the knee. He faked an injury after putting on a tough guy act (Talking shit to Till who expressed having a panic attack prior to the Kelvin fight) all to get the win. Pretty disgraceful to me.

It doesn't matter if the rule is silly or not.
Illegal move => DQ
Simple as that!

Perreira robbed himself.

Obviously a rule was broken with the knee to a grounded opponent. But that rule is pretty silly overall if thought about and is more based in the UFC's concerns of marketing to a "wider audience" rather than actual safety.

Diego wasn't even hurt from the knee. He faked an injury after putting on a tough guy act (Talking shit to Till who expressed having a panic attack prior to the Kelvin fight) all to get the win. Pretty disgraceful to me.
He was talking about not being able to see before the Ref started talking about DQ and illegal technique.

Try harder.

$100k choice to make, seems simple enough. Dude fights for money and only has so many fights left.

Diego didn’t rob anyone. Be in control of and accountable your body and actions in professional sports. The DQ was justified.

Same people shitting on Diego, defend point fighters. Is normal.

I could have sworn it opened him up..? And old mate robbed himself of a win. Shouldn't have kneed him in the face. Regardless of your opinion on knees to a grounded opponent.

I'm not mad at Diego, but I'm disappointed that a self-described "warrior" chose to be a vagina.

In some ways it's wrong to put it in the hands of the fighter.
The referee should have the balls to call it with the assistance of the doctor.
I don't know what Diegos show/win money was for that fight but he was getting whooped and they were basically asking him do you want 20k or do you want 40k.

If I have the money or desire to compensate Diego a win bonus at the twilight of his career then I'll express my disdain toward his decision to take a DQ.

Anthony Smith eats illegal knee to his face when he's down against Jon Jones. Doesn't show any signs of concussion & tells ref to continue the fight and not stop it for what would of been a DQ win and a title change of hands. Dana, Jon, and all the UFC fans praise Smith for continuing and not being a coward.

Diego Sanchez eats illegal knee to the face, shows no signs of concussion, DELIBERATELY CHECKS WITH REF SAYING "if I can't continue it's a DQ right?" then goes "I cant see" lmaoooo

Sherdog and MMA fans: omg Diego is so smart what a great move. lmaooo make up your minds you clowns. Either you like it or you don't. If he was put out like Brok Weaver was that's one thing, but he was fine. That's what makes this a rough call. However at the end of the day, Diego isn't in this for beating top ranked fighters anymore, he's in to keep bringing in a paycheck and that was an easy way to get your win bonus in a fight you were getting whooped.

I was surprised Sanchez took the DQ, but I don't blame him. He was clearly down, the guy clobbered him, cut him deep, and was kind of an jag off on top of that. Diego is late in his career, he will take a win any way he can get them. Heck, Matt Hamill took his "win" against Jones and a lot didn't complain about that one.

Because he clearly showed he was fine and aware, talking to the referee and asking about rules and such. He showed everybody he was fine and was like "if that was legal im good, if it was illegal im blind in coma".

It’s different because it’s combat. Basketball players aren’t expected to be “tough”. I’m not going to crap on Diego, and rather it was right or wrong is something only he knows. But that was one weird performance, start to finish.
His opponent broke the rules. Diego did the right thing

Because he clearly showed he was fine and aware, talking to the referee and asking about rules and such. He showed everybody he was fine and was like "if that was legal im good, if it was illegal im blind in coma".
Uhhh duh.

he’s supposed to. That hit was illegal and he was bleeding. He did the thing that 100% of fighters should do

Uhhh duh.

he’s supposed to. That hit was illegal and he was bleeding. He did the thing that 100% of fighters should do
He was bleeding in the top of the forehead, very far from the eyes. What all fighters should do is fight til the end of the round if they are in the condition to do so, and he was.

I'm torn... That was the MOST illegal knee I'd seen since the Prelims.. and I do like Diego and didn't want to see him lose in front of his daughter... I mean did you see that GASH in his head? on the other hand, as a fan I kind of want fighters to put their health and their win/loss record in the toilet for my entertainment.... it's a tough call. ;)

Manipulation of, even exploitation of, rules is part of every sport.

In basketball, players often put themselves in positions that draw certain fouls. Forcing charge calls, and 1 calls, etc.

In soccer, the infamous diving is also used as a tactic to get ahead.

List goes on.

My question is, why is what Diego did any different? As a sportsman, he found himself in a situation in which no rule was getting broken on his part and one which would result in him getting an automatic W.

He's in a serious sports competition, combat sport at that, down on score cards, and in a situation where realistically was his only chance to come out victorious.

Why the disapproval?

And for those who might feel comparing mma to these other sports isn't a fair comparison, let's compare it to recent Mma fights that had similar situations: Ben rothwell vs Stefan struve, and (the one that comes up in other topics too) Anthony Smith vs Jon Jones. It did neither guy any good to do the supposed "right thing."

There was zero incentive and zero reward after to continue. In all these cases. Why then is it so wrong what Diego did?

Well on the web you ll always have posters defending the most reprehensible shit.

Still your thread is shitty.

He was bleeding in the top of the forehead, very far from the eyes. What all fighters should do is fight til the end of the round if they are in the condition to do so, and he was.
Nah dumb dumb. People shouldn’t throw illegal knees I hope all fighters adopt this

I was surprised Sanchez took the DQ, but I don't blame him. He was clearly down, the guy clobbered him, cut him deep, and was kind of an jag off on top of that. Diego is late in his career, he will take a win any way he can get them. Heck, Matt Hamill took his "win" against Jones and a lot didn't complain about that one.
Guys get paid more if they win. It’s simple math

Back