question for the "hype train Cormier" people

Not a good fight for Mir. Only way I see him winning is if Cormier gets reckless after rocking Mir and giving him a sub. Obviously Mir could land a haymaker again as well but it seems unlikely. Cormier will smash him and I'll be sad for a couple of days.

Good post, a lot of people rely on either numbers or going by what UFC sells them. Rather than looking at the fights themselves and analyzing them. The "hasn't fought UFC calibre fighters" line is one of the worst. But there's been a lot of other examples, JDS vs Cain 2 for a recent one. A lot of people still believed in cain, but there was an alarmingly high number of fans picking "JDS by KO rd 1" only because he did it the first fight.

To your point, cormier is clearly the better fighter of the two. Mir's best chance is to sub cormier, and if he doesn't do it in the first he'l be in real trouble. I have it 70-30 for DC

He doesn't suck, I agree with that. But he isn't as good as his fanboys make him out to be and he is definitely overhyped

How can he be overhyped? He KO'd Bigfoot and dominated Barnett! Anyone who can do that is Top 5 and deserves hype.

it's impossible to not be impressed with the way cormier destroyed barnett and bigfoot silva.

i think that both of those fighters are ufc-material, so his praise is warranted, in my opinion.

I'm not even a Mir fan, I just don't think Cormier is that good. He's too one-dimensional and the one thing he excels at is the one thing that will leave him exposed to Mir's most dangerous weapon.

His stand-up is nothing to write home about. Neither is Mir's, but you can't even compare the level of competition both guys have faced. I'd say Cormier might be slightly better on the striking department but Mir is dangerous even when rocked and battered.

I think Frank pulls the upset, yes.

TS, I think you're over thinking this one a bit too much. Some people think Mir will win and others think Cormier will win. No one thinks that if a fighter hasn't fought in the UFC that they can't possibly be good.

For some reason I feel Mir can actually stand with Cormier. His striking hasnt been that impressive to me and obviously, many fighters tend to do worse against the more rare southpaw opponents.

I dont think Mir can get DC down unless he rocks him, but still Mir by sub seems as the most obvious fight outcome the more I think about it. Frank has that killer instinct, if he finds an opening, he will take it and finish.

Im not delusional though, if Mir gets repeatedly hit, him folding for a GnP Tko is very likely aswell.

This is one of those "never bet on this"-fights.

I'm not even a Mir fan, I just don't think Cormier is that good. He's too one-dimensional and the one thing he excels at is the one thing that will leave him exposed to Mir's most dangerous weapon.

His stand-up is nothing to write home about. Neither is Mir's, but you can't even compare the level of competition both guys have faced. I'd say Cormier might be slightly better on the striking department but Mir is dangerous even when rocked and battered.

Cormier is one dimensional? That's funny.

How can he be overhyped? He KO'd Bigfoot and dominated Barnett! Anyone who can do that is Top 5 and deserves hype.

yeah people also need to factor in experience. jon jones 8th and 9th fight were vs bonnar and o'brian. he had 4 more fights before facing shogun

guys like cormier arent only hyped for smashing comp like barnett and bigfoot, theyre hyped for doing it with limited experience and lots of room to grow

Did you see Cormier vs Barnett and BF silva? If i was going to write home about a HWs striking cormier would be one of the first i'd think of. He wasn't just better than them, he dominated them. Also mir has looked a little slow and laboured lately, his sub against Nog was amazing but he looked weak in the stand up. He's shown moments of great striking but i think they are behind him now.. he's not even close to cormier right now.

But id love to see a competitive fight. Im not counting Mir out completely.

Mir needs to worry about getting controlled by DC on the ground. IMO Mir beats DC on the feet. Yes.

This. Mir also has to watch out for DC's power, but should be able to outstrike him.

Also, are few parallels to other fights that don't really hold up here: DC isn't going to bully Mir like Carwin and Brock did. Yes, he's a better wrestler and might take Mir down, but he's not nearly as big and strong as those two.

Furthermore, yes DC looked impressive on the ground against Barnett (who is a world class submissions guy in his own right) but that's because Barnett is mainly a top player and has trouble getting his submission game going from the bottom. Mir has no such problem.

I got Mir by submission in the upset. I think DC gets the worst of it on the feet for a round or two, takes Mir down and gets caught.

Have you seen any of Cormier's recent fights, or are you just basing that statement on his last fight where he played it safe in a no win situation? He destroyed bigfoot standing.

Have you seen any of Cormier's recent fights, or are you just basing that statement on his last fight where he played it safe in a no win situation? He destroyed bigfoot standing.

No major feat.

Mir's great striking is a myth. To top it off, his defensive striking is nearly non-existent due to lack of movement. That renders his offense innocuous most of the time.

Once you start seeing Mir wobble back and forth like one of these bad boys
inflatable_flailing_arm_tube.jpg
, he is pretty much done or in zombie mode looking to pull a submission out of his ass.

If Cormier had won those very same fights under the UFC banner, some of those "hype train Cormier" people, would have a different opinion.

This takedown worked pretty good for Mir.

23siqt31.gif

Hey, Pete, why don't we break our tie on Mir sig/AV bets with this one? We could just re-use the last one with a small variation (one more pic and Mir will have sole possession of the record for most KO losses in the UFC).

Well, fanboys is a bad name because IMO it's an insult to actual fan boys. They deserve a name for themselves

When they started calling him the "Black Fedor" that was completely mind boggling

Kinda sounds like you're a Fedor fanboy and you're blowing the 'Black Fedor' joke way out of proportion.

Mir will stand with him, and if mir can drop a good kickboxer on his butt then he could drop dc too.

Mir has solid boxing.

Back