question for the forum-re:jens pulver wrestling/grappling

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
alot of people have commented that pulver had become one dimensional in regards to his wrestling/grappling being tossed in favor of the boxing/striking; in fact in the standup forum we reviewed the faber/pulver fight and most commented his striking looked worse than it had ever looked.

But..many were impressed w/his wrestling/submission def/guardwork

so since he has been in wec-have u seen a decided improvement in his overall game in regards to his wrestling/grappling; i think he showed something against two tough guys cub swanson and faber who has been on a tear and is known to take people out on the ground, guys who are known for their ground game (curran being one of the best). So for jens to almost nullify and get through there, when most can't has got to lend itself to the improvement of jens

i love the one sequence where faber shoots, jens stuff it, faber gets behind him takes him down and pulver spins up/out and gets right back up. Usually when faber shoots he gets the initial takedown, which he didn't; then when he got jens down, jens got right back up; that doesn't happen to faber.

sidenote how good do u consider faber on the ground, how good is his wrestling in regards to other mma fighters

i was rather impressed w/jens takedown def against cub, then that transition to the sub was slick as hell; cub isn't the best but is GOOD on the ground and he got worked

Jens has always had good TD defense though. He's got a pretty good wrestling background. College level.

he mentioned after the cub fight and Mir ( i think) mentioned the fact that he had been training with pedro silveira so I think that the improvement probably came as an effect of getting manhandled by BJ on the ground so Jens looked for some help.

A few fights back (either before or after BJ fight) Jens rededicated himself to the wrestling/ground game. He started out as a wrestler/boxer and had success. Then, mainly because he has stupid power, he bacme more of a boxer/brawler. He recognized wrestling was one of the key aspects to his success and went back to it.

As for Faber, his wrestling is pretty good but a lot of it has to do with his physical attributes. he is fast as hell and pretty strong for his weight class. I think he has a lot of the same things going for him GSP does: natural talent + decent skill set + excellent attributes=bad ass.

A few fights back (either before or after BJ fight) Jens rededicated himself to the wrestling/ground game. He started out as a wrestler/boxer and had success. Then, mainly because he has stupid power, he bacme more of a boxer/brawler. He recognized wrestling was one of the key aspects to his success and went back to it.

As for Faber, his wrestling is pretty good but a lot of it has to do with his physical attributes. he is fast as hell and pretty strong for his weight class. I think he has a lot of the same things going for him GSP does: natural talent + decent skill set + excellent attributes=bad ass.

thanks for the analysis, i appreciate it; that was what i was looking for

Back