question for serious Conor fans

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Not the people that do the "GOAT LOL" schtick that was a self-parody within 24 hours.

I see lots of SERIOUS talk about how likely he is to beat Aldo, and in the Conor=Sonnen thread I saw someone say Sonnen was top 5 but Conor is the clear #2. I don't get HOW on Earth he could be ranked #2 by any serious ranking system but nevermind the fact he doesn't have the resume to be ranked anywhere near #2... sell me on his skills. And I'm not unsellable and trolling to say "yeah he sucks." I am asking mostly because I don't know much in terms of striking and don't know what the fuss is about.

My main point of reference is the Dustin fight. I don't get how it makes him #2. Granted Rogan INSTANTLY went into hype mode the second Dustin dropped and said "a fight he dominated every second of" and now Sherdog retroactively adopted that as a memory of the fight but... I don't understand how he dominated every second of the fight in the slightest. Unless a hook kick hitting the air is domination... both guys got tagged and it was essentially even prior to the KO. AGAIN NOW... I'm talking Rogan's notion of dominating before the KO so no "lol KO in the 1st isn't domination?" replies please.

Did I miss something? What was sign of the domination? And what (SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE STRIKING) showcases Conor as the "clear #2" that some people are saying. Again now... I CAN be converted if it makes sense, I just don't get what specifically striking-wise is setting up the notion of him being equal or above Aldo and I honestly don't think any outcome against Siver would fill us in more with that.

Think about it, chad Mendes, a short wrestler with t rex reach, was lighting aldo the fuck up on the feet.

Conor has good instincts, movement and timing. The key is conors timing. He uses his offensive striking to set up his deadly counter striking. Its brilliant

TS, a good fight to see his awesome striking would the Holloway one. Here's a short little GIF montage of the action. He utilizes his pressure and angles to force people to throw. If they don't he leads with his solid boxing and baits with a lot of kicks.

ezgif_com_gif_maker_4.gif

McGregor has 4-2 on first 6 fights (submitted twice) Is this the GOAT? No offence but this is not too much.

Think about it, chad Mendes, a short wrestler with t rex reach, was lighting aldo the fuck up on the feet.

Conor has good instincts, movement and timing. The key is conors timing. He uses his offensive striking to set up his deadly counter striking. Its brilliant

C'mon now

Last edited:
Conor is a guy who was dominating guys on the European circuit and then went into the UFC and did the same thing to increasingly difficult competition.

The thing about the way he's finishing these guys is this is what the super elite fighters do to lesser competition. He's not #2, you just read some silly ranking garbage. But he's probably #4.

The Poirier fight was Conor walking through everything Dustin threw, moving forward and then landing a big left hand that scared Dustin. He moved in and finished him. That was Conor walking right through a top 5 guy in two minutes.

I don't get how people look at that performance and then suggest he's just some guy.

McGregor has 4-2 on first 6 fights (submitted twice) Is this the GOAT? No offence but this is not too much.

No offense but what does that have to do with anything??? And why do the first six fights matter?

As for ts Poirier fight was a minute and a half of feeling out each other and in the first exchange Conor put him away. Good indication of his skills would be Holloway and Brandao fights. In which he dominated two good fighters from start to finish.

As for rankings Edgar is clear 2. But he had his shot and lost.

Those fights are irrelevant. As are virtually every early loss on the record of top fighters. Typically they come at a time when the fighter is training part time, lacks developed elements of their game etc.

BJJ is one of the areas where anyone can develop more than enough skill to survive being subbed in MMA. Striking on the other hand is capped at a certain level of talent based on the individual.

All that is pretty easy to do when fighting lower competition. Everyone Conor has beat so far has already been lit up and dominated by other fighters. He is gonna take a massive step up in comp from Siver to Aldo, and he may end up getting completely butt fucked to death,

As for ts Poirier fight was a minute and a half of feeling out each other and in the first exchange Conor put him away. Good indication of his skills would be Holloway and Brandao fights. In which he dominated two pretty good fighters from start to finish.

Pretty sure i recall Conor losing a tooth vs dustin.

Kid did good but wasn't flawless

All that is pretty easy to do when fighting lower competition. Everyone Conor has beat so far has already been lit up and dominated by other fighters. He is gonna take a massive step up in comp from Siver to Aldo, and he may end up getting completely butt fucked to death,

Not Holloway. He was flash submitted by Poirier but not dominated. Bermudez decision was a joke.

It's annoying how people that can grow this good a calibre a beard and yet wear it so fucking badly..

When I was younger I never expected that they would pussify such a strong symbol of masculinity. Fuck hipster beards, imo.

That's just simply not true. Look up Buchinger's record after Conor moved up to LIGHTWEIGHT to take a vacant title.

Holloway looks great.

Buchinger has won seven straight since that loss.

Conor is a guy who was dominating guys on the European circuit and then went into the UFC and did the same thing to increasingly difficult competition.

The thing about the way he's finishing these guys is this is what the super elite fighters do to lesser competition. He's not #2, you just read some silly ranking garbage. But he's probably #4.

The Poirier fight was Conor walking through everything Dustin threw, moving forward and then landing a big left hand that scared Dustin. He moved in and finished him. That was Conor walking right through a top 5 guy in two minutes.

I don't get how people look at that performance and then suggest he's just some guy.

Dustin was ranked 16th in the div by an impartial ranking system which is commonly considered the best system. Fightmatrix.

Wasn't top 5 by any stretch.

Dustin was ranked 16th in the div by an impartial ranking system which is commonly considered the best system. Fightmatrix.

Wasn't top 5 by any stretch.

Fightmatrix rankings has Tito Ortiz as top 15 at lhw.
No not the best rankings. Not even close.

Back