Question for Old Punk Fans

The Damned were a bit hit or miss for me (no pun intended). I think a lot of their stuff is great and I loved seeing them live but sometimes I felt they coasted. Great talent though.

Along side The Buzzcocks both bands flew under the radar due to the sex pistols' success.

Along side The Buzzcocks both bands flew under the radar due to the sex pistols' success.

Amn't I right in thinking New Rose was the first release of the British punk scene?

Buzzcocks were fun. Good song structure. Probably due the blame for the 90s wave of pop punk!

For me one of the most surprising things in reading about the punk era was the the Stranglers pretty much had the most mental/violent following out of everyone. It's kinda hard to tally that with their music, and the fact they're from Guildford haha

Seen them both, Had to walk out the last time i seen the pistols, they were bored on stage and that translated to the crowd.
My homeboy Lugi from Scoi punched him in the face at the Hollywood amphitheater back in the day.

I see Jello around at the shows sometimes, last i seen him he showed up to a FEAR show in a godamn limo....
Personally i cant stand the guy, he picks fights with people too damn much.
Not criticizing his music, but as a person he sucks ass and anyone here who has spent time with the guy knows exactly what im talking about.

Remember when Jello got both his legs broke at Gilman St about 12-15 years ago?

Not surprising. Still like what his music and his methods.

My buddy Matty (RIP) from the band Hickey from SF used to prank call Jello all the time and record either Jello's response or whatever crazy ass cospiracy message he had on his voice message. He used to also prank call David Yow, Eric Melvin, and Courtney Love -It was sort of a hobby of his.
One of them was about Nuclear Satelites doing something every day in America on jello's VM

Amn't I right in thinking New Rose was the first release of the British punk scene?

Buzzcocks were fun. Good song structure. Probably due the blame for the 90s wave of pop punk!

Ring's a bell yeah. Great song too.

You better be a victim of inbreeding man :eek:

Nope, when i was younger i was really into bandas like Peter n the test tube babies, chaos u.k., GBH, Vice squad, etc,, but these days it tends to just give me a headache, dont get me wrong i LOVE english OI music!
Blitz, business, Cocksparrar, Cockney rejects, etc...
That shit gets me going, but the english punk esp the early stuff was recorded very poorly and most bands didnt really know what they were trying to do except pretend to be johnny thunders.

I remember reading the Slaughter and the dogs story and them talking about one day this band called the new york dolls came to town, the next day everyone had a band and was on heroin.

Remember when Jello got both his legs broke at Gilman St about 12-15 years ago?

Not surprising. Still like what his music and his methods.

My buddy Matty (RIP) from the band Hickey from SF used to prank call Jello all the time and record either Jello's response or whatever crazy ass cospiracy message he had on his voice message. He used to also prank call David Yow, Eric Melvin, and Courtney Love -It was sort of a hobby of his.
One of them was about Nuclear Satelites doing something every day in America on jello's VM

Haha that sounds kind of familiar, i know he got into alot of scuffles back in the 90's.
Your friend sounds like a funny guy, sorry for your loss man.

For me one of the most surprising things in reading about the punk era was the the Stranglers pretty much had the most mental/violent following out of everyone. It's kinda hard to tally that with their music, and the fact they're from Guildford haha

I'm sure when pub rock scene caught a whiff of their sound just like they boys.

Ultravox had some really good tunes early on that I would consider punk classics
[/MEDIA]fn98yNUqDsE[/MEDIA]

it's safe to say overseas the musician ship was top notch while in the US had more of teh raw aggression ala Dead Boys

hmm, seen a guy get his head ran over at a business show,
seen an all out riot between KKK and Unity skins at another business show,
Got jumped by a ton of skins and had my ticket stolen from me at another business show.
Seen a guy get curbed at a total chaos show in hollywood in 93
seen a guy get stabbed in the pit at a murder junkies show,
seen a guy get stomped till he wasnt moving anymore at a rancid show in 94
seen a guy get killed in front of his little brother at a local show in san bernardino
(the guy stabbed like 8 of my friends first)

I dont know man, the socal scene has been pretty damn violent as far back as i can remember. I rarely go to shows im not performing at anymore.
Haha im getting old :p

I'm sure when pub rock scene caught a whiff of their sound just like they boys.

Ultravox had some really good tunes early on that I would consider punk classics
[/MEDIA]fn98yNUqDsE[/MEDIA]

it's safe to say overseas the musician ship was top notch while in the US had more of teh raw aggression ala Dead Boys

I still have the benefit tshirt from one of them dying years ago.
I think johnny ramone threw the benefit.
That east coast rock and roll style was seriously one of my favorite styles.

Nope, when i was younger i was really into bandas like Peter n the test tube babies, chaos u.k., GBH, Vice squad, etc,, but these days it tends to just give me a headache, dont get me wrong i LOVE english OI music!
Blitz, business, Cocksparrar, Cockney rejects, etc...
That shit gets me going, but the english punk esp the early stuff was recorded very poorly and most bands didnt really know what they were trying to do except pretend to be johnny thunders.

I remember reading the Slaughter and the dogs story and them talking about one day this band called the new york dolls came to town, the next day everyone had a band and was on heroin.

haha, yeah but that's the beauty of it I guess.

I don't listen to a lot of punk tbh, the only punk band I really rinse is the Ramones who are produced beautifully. But that horrible recording quality is part of the charm of X Ray Spex, the Adverts et al, and there are plenty of UK bands which still hold up in terms of songwriting like Gen X, the Damned, Pistols, Clash, Undertones, the Jam etc etc.. then the Specials, yada yada if you include New Wave.. a lot more than 5! =]

haha, yeah but that's the beauty of it I guess.

I don't listen to a lot of punk tbh, the only punk band I really rinse is the Ramones who are produced beautifully. But that horrible recording quality is part of the charm of X Ray Spex, the Adverts et al, and there are plenty of UK bands which still hold up in terms of songwriting like Gen X, the Damned, Pistols, Clash, Undertones, the Jam etc etc.. then the Specials, yada yada if you include New Wave.. a lot more than 5! =]

Haha ya dont get me wrong i respect those bands for sure,
Hell have you heard new damned?
Its pretty good if you ask me

Not really new new, but new enough that most havent heard it.

Most people hate it but Phantasmagoria is one of my fav albums.

^ no I hadn't. I'd have never guessed who it was from listening to it. Sounds a lot like Billy Idol (I like Billy Idol so that's good I guess!).

Haha ya dont get me wrong i respect those bands for sure,
Hell have you heard new damned?
Its pretty good if you ask me

Not really new new, but new enough that most havent heard it.

Most people hate it but Phantasmagoria is one of my fav albums.

Grave Disorder released in 2001 has such a extremely polished recording that goes perfectly with the sounds they were trying to capture with that album. I still have listen to one for sure.

Got jumped by a ton of skins and had my ticket stolen from me at another business show.
seen a guy get killed in front of his little brother at a local show in san bernardino

I dont know man, the socal scene has been pretty damn violent as far back as i can remember. I rarely go to shows im not performing at anymore.

Are unity skins based in SGV?

Bad Brains was my first show I ever saw back over 27 years ago. Still the best I have ever seen.
I hear this all the time from anyone who saw BrAins any time pre 90's really. Their live performances are legendary. Even musicians today like Rollins and Dave grohl say its still the best show they'd ever seen. A friend of mine described it as eerily calm once they took the stAge. You could hear a pin drop. And then in that half second before they started playing it was like a pAlpable tension built up instantly and then released the moment they started playing. Amazing to me that one band gets such a reputation.

If I uncertain it they opened for the Dead Boys their first show and blew them out of the water. After their first show no other band wanted them to open for them because they could t match them

I hear this all the time from anyone who saw BrAins any time pre 90's really. Their live performances are legendary. Even musicians today like Rollins and Dave grohl say its still the best show they'd ever seen. A friend of mine described it as eerily calm once they took the stAge. You could hear a pin drop. And then in that half second before they started playing it was like a pAlpable tension built up instantly and then released the moment they started playing. Amazing to me that one band gets such a reputation.

If I uncertain it they opened for the Dead Boys their first show and blew them out of the water. After their first show no other band wanted them to open for them because they could t match them

Well I was in Middle school and it was my very FIRST show too so it was pretty mind blowing in many regards other than being amazinf -After that I pretty much went to every punk show that my older went to or I could get a ride to -but I saw the Bad Brains at least 10 times after that and they were always amazing every time. from there I saw I against I tour, Quickness and Rise tours -even the Chuck Mosely tour was good in 1991 (believe it or not) I guess the Soul Brains period was good too if you weren't expecting the classic tunes and instead just the Reggae stuff -I have not seen the Bad Brains since Madonna bought their name back for them and they returned with HR as the Bad Brains again.

Give me the Misfits (Danzig era), Bad Brains, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys and so on and so forth. Late 70's to mid/late 80's hardcore punk gave us some amazing bands and genre defining albums.

This i FUCKING LOVE the 80's hardcore punk era specifically..i am only 23 but as a teenager i wanted to discover music outside of what my peers listen to. (i am black guy..lived in a ghetto neighborhood) As soon as i heard sailin on by Bad Brains i was hooked..thought it was the coolest shit and hardcore punk is a direct effect on my personality.

I have no idea what i would look like if i didn't find punk music....

One of the craziest things I've seen was a pretty much near riot outside the Glass House in Pomona after someone tried to steal money from Sick of It All's merch box. It started with them jumping the guy, I remember at one point someone using a bicycle as a weapon and just throwing it directly at the guy's face as other people kicked him in the head. I got out of there when police helicopters showed up.

Slaughter and the Dogs man, underrated fucking band. I saw them in I think 2001 at the Showcase Theatre in Corona.

Back