Question for my Sherbros that like to cook

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
What cut of beef roast shreds the most easily?

I want to make some Korean beef tacos using my slow cooker and I’ve tried the recipe three times before and each time I’ve failed in having the roast easily shredding after cooking. Now I’m not sure if it’s a problem in how I’m cooking it versus the cut of meat, but I’ve followed the instructions in the recipe and they say your should easily be able to pull the roast apart with a couple of forks, but that’s never been the case.

Any suggestions on the appropriate cut of beef roast? And if it’s not the meat that’s the problem then any thoughts on what could be going wrong with the cooking?

The recipe I’ve been using is found here:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&sour...aw3I9CFJ0bGW39pe30yXkzCU&ust=1554141727789820

Beef kidneys

0000917_beef-kidney-1-lb_560.jpeg

GOAT cut of cow

If you’re using a slow cooker then go with brisket if you like leaner meat or chuck if you like fattier.

If you’re using a slow cooker then go with brisket if you like leaner meat or chuck if you like fattier.

Well the recipe calls for chuck, but when I go to the store it won’t be identified like that, the packaging will say shit like “inside round” or whatever.

Well the recipe calls for chuck, but when I go to the store it won’t be identified like that, the packaging will say shit like “inside round” or whatever.
You might just have to go to a better store or Google fu what the hell they mean. I’ve noticed that more and more as well where grocers are like making up new names or something. I don’t know if they’ve found more economical ways to cut up the cow or if the marketing people think they’ve found more appealing names.

Looks like inside round is a part of the round steak. That’s a cut that you can’t braise to my knowledge. I’ve cut it super thin and stir fried it very quickly and have also oven roasted, but that’s it.

Thats because those are different things.

Go to a store that has a real meat department and ask a meatcutter for help if you can't find what you want.

Get a chuck roast. Not a Chuck Shoulder roast or English Cut Chuck Roast. Just a "Chuck Roast". Tell them you want something that will shred. They are very easy to get.

You might just have to go to a better store or Google fu what the hell they mean. I’ve noticed that more and more as well where grocers are like making up new names or something. I don’t know if they’ve found more economical ways to cut up the cow or if the marketing people think they’ve found more appealing names.

Looks like inside round is a part of the round steak. That’s a cut that you can’t braise to my knowledge. I’ve cut it super thin and stir fried it very quickly and have also oven roasted, but that’s it.

Inside round is another name for top round. It is a very lean muscle from the rear leg of the cow. It is good for roasting and slicing thin for sandwiches like Italian beef, etc. It has a nice flavor but isn't as rich or moist as a chuck roast. If you slice it super thin and beat the shit out of it, it will shred, anything will, but the chuck roast is what you want.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully I can find something to work better than my last 3 attempts.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully I can find something to work better than my last 3 attempts.

Best advice I can give you is find a meat dept you like and talk to the staff there. Find a place that will let you call ahead to place an order and you can just pick up what you want exactly how you want it and when.

Boneless beef short ribs.

I think i last used inside round in the slow cooker. Shredded well.

I’m a huge fan of beef shin for long, slow cooking, I think it’s known as shank in the USA. It’s got a slightly gelatinous quality to it which keeps it really moist and super-tasty.

Back