Question for GSP fans and their continued devotion of a retired fighter (no trolling)

You want the guy to entertain you outside the cage? This isn't gay tinder.

I said no trolling in the thread title.

Is that why you haven't addressed the subject and have only quoted troll like post since starting this thread?

It doesn't seem like the replies are surprising anyone or you. So what we're u expecting from this thread?

He's the most dominate fighter in UFC history, I'm not sure who else you can even put on his level given his wins and his longevity. He had 2 losses, a fluke ko that shows anyone can have a bad day and a loss to a guy who is pretty widely considered a top 3 welterweight of all time and that was fairly early on. If you are a guy who is a fan of the "stand and bang" type fighters than I get not being a fan but people that are fans of control and dominate game plans will generally always be a fan of guys like GSP. His fights were really interesting to watch if you look at the intricacies of what he did on the ground to control most of his opponents. Its not for everyone but for the fans of the style he is the GOAT

Last edited:
What exactly made you a fan of his? I didn't find his fights particularly exciting post Serra and I never found anything he did outside the cage to be entertaining or hilarious. The only thing I can think of is that he was the best and that's why you supported him.

What an idiotic question. He was a complete fighter and, other than Jon Jones, the most dominant fighter ever.

What exactly made you a fan of his? I didn't find his fights particularly exciting post Serra and I never found anything he did outside the cage to be entertaining or hilarious. The only thing I can think of is that he was the best and that's why you supported him.
I became a fan of GSP during his run up to the WW title vs Matt Hughes the second time. If you can ask "what made you a fan" haven't you haven't seen his fights. Reigning for as long as he did and in such a dominant fashion is truly impressive. I assume you prefer "Champions" like Hector Lombard during his MW title run in Bellator? He was manhandling guys and KO'ing them at will. That didn't seem to impress the masses though. Fighting the best and dominating is far greater than finishing inferior opponents who are tailor made for your style isn't impressive to me. GSP vs the level of competition Lombard or Silva or some other dominant champs had he would be a killer. See his fights vs Heiron, Trigg, Sherk. Also had finishes of current or former WW champions in BJ Penn, Matt Hughes and Matt Serra.

GSP was also an honest and humble champion. He admitted his fears, his mistakes and always gove credit to his opponents (even when they maybe didn't deserve it).

GSP was respectable, humble, proud, and incredibly talented as a fighter. You literally have to try pretty damn hard NOT to like the guy.

First off, being the best isn't a terrible reason to get support from fans.

But more importantly, while GSP's fights (especially as a champion) weren't exactly "exciting," they were certainly "interesting."

For some of us, it is fun to watch a guy neutralize an opponent and outclass him in every facet of the game. People also watch poker and chess matches for entertainment. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. For some people, that's not their cup of tea, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

I also loved watching prime Anderson land insane strikes out of no where, and I'm pretty game for a Mark Hunt style fighter, as well.

Some people prefer one style over the other. Some absolutely hate certain styles. And then there are those, like me, who like a wide variety of styles (the only things I really don't like are inactivity on one hand or flat out brawling on the other... you're in a fight, not going for a morning stroll or fighting off a grizzly).

I don't give a fuck about his lack of entertainment outside the cage, who does, that's pussy talk.
Post Serra he employed a far more grappling orientated style, dominant wrestling, poor jits. Which can make for monotonous viewing.

You do realize that submissions are only one part of Brazilian jiu-jitsu, right?

It didn't matter who you were, he was passing your guard.

It was only monotonous for some because he was so much better than anyone else. I didn't care about the finish, the absolute domination was enough.

I've never been a huge fan but I've never disliked him either. He's a hard guy not to like considering he's a great fighter, class act, believes in aliens, and always reminded me of JCVD.
Jean-Claude-Van-Damme-008.jpg

Greatest WW of all time
Class act his whole career
A great rep for the sport.

Exactly this. He always handled himself with class and respect, which is a large part of what martial arts should be about.

EDIT: not a gsp fan
Canadiens. Some might be front runners. Some might be women who think he is hot. Some may be homo's. GSP is a clean mans fighter. A guy who doesn't crave violence in fights, but the sweet science if you will.

Matt Serra bless.

This could be true...er, about the clean man's fighter sweet science thing I mean. I was always in awe of the way he would completely shut his opponents down. I also enjoy watching Mayweather's technical defensive boxing. So yeah, I'm a fan of technical brilliance.

Well, I think if found his fights boring, you MAY be mentally challenged. And I am not trolling. I believe that. You simply just seem to be missing something when understanding fighting and mma. Or maybe you use MMA to fulfill some aspect of your life that you are lacking, like a GF or a job or what not. And it is so stressful that you need that big KO to hit your sweet spot.

Back