Question for concrete finishers and/or flooring installers...

Just buy a sweeping compound and sprinkle it all over the concrete floor before brooming it up. Here on the west coast thee sweeping compound is like a red smooth sawdust type of product. I think it may be green on the east coast though.

That won't work if the concrete continues to dust.

That won't work if the concrete continues to dust.
The SC is a very fine screed of oil based sand. It will absorb & sweep up dust from any type of concrete floor.

It's an easy task & affordable to the point of being able to do it again however many times you see fit up until you install the floating floor. After the wood floor is installed who cares if the sub floor ever gets dusty.

The SC is a very fine screed of oil based sand. It will absorb & sweep up dust from any type of concrete floor.

It's an easy task & affordable to the point of being able to do it again however many times you see fit up until you install the floating floor. After the wood floor is installed who cares if the sub floor ever gets dusty.

I use to use the product daily I know. But if the concrete continues to dust than it's not a solution to have to spread that stuff daily and sweep it up. He needs to seal the floor with patch.

I use to use the product daily I know. But if the concrete continues to dust than it's not a solution to have to spread that stuff daily and sweep it up. He needs to seal the floor with patch.
It's for a small residential room, not the entryway to a f'n Nordstroms.

His options are spending $20 on a box of SC & dealing with a bit of minor dust for a cpl weeks or paying for a guy to come out & skim the floor with an $40 a bag self leveler. If the room is 13'x14' that's approx 3 or 4 bags needed & the hassle of emptying the room & not being able to use it for a cpl days & then putting everything back in the room. Which he'll after do all over again when its time to install the new wood floor.

I personally wont work on a job for less than $300 a day.

All this for the sake of a cpl weeks lol. Waste of money, imo. Money that is better off going towards a better wood floor product.

Last edited:
It's for a small residential room, not the entryway to a f'n Nordstroms.

His options are spending $20 on a box of SC & dealing with a bit of minor dust for a cpl weeks or paying for a guy to come out & skim the floor with an $40 a bag self leveler. If the room is 13'x14' that's approx 3 or 4 bags needed & the hassle of emptying the room & not being able to use it for a cpl days & then putting everything back in the room. Which he'll after do all over again when its time to install the new wood floor.

I personally wont work on a job for less than $300 a day.

All this for the sake of a cpl weeks lol. Waste of money, imo. Money that is better off going towards a better wood floor product.

I could do it for cheaper if I just trowel it myself and skip the self leveler. From what I understand people like using self leveler more these days though. You're missing one thing, does he know if his floor is level enough for a wood floor? He likely doesn't know. My point is if it needs to be leveled anyway, he should just do it now. But if it doesn't need it then I might be inclined to agree with you and just get some dustbane and control it until the floor goes down.

Say I don't seal the concrete, will the dust be able to permeate the flooring once it's laid?

I wouldn't want that to happen.

Those 'Holmes on Home Inspection' shows on DIY tv make my arse laugh.

Some poor homeowner guy says he has a bit of mould in his shower that he's concerned about & before you know it Holmes is rewiring the whole house & installing a new f'n roof lol

If we all ran our business with extreme over-excessiveness like him we'd never win a solitary f'n bid lol

I have an indoor concrete slab that is dusting really bad. I would like to seal it to stop it from dusting.

I also plan to use my tax return to eventually install wood flooring on top of this slab.

My question is, what is the best sealer to use to stop the dusting? Keeping in mind that the sealer must also be good for the flooring I plan on having installed over it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Consider insulation under the hardwood too if you get any sweating in the summer with the temp flux

I could do it for cheaper if I just trowel it myself and skip the self leveler. From what I understand people like using self leveler more these days though. You're missing one thing, does he know if his floor is level enough for a wood floor? He likely doesn't know. My point is if it needs to be leveled anyway, he should just do it now. But if it doesn't need it then I might be inclined to agree with you and just get some dustbane and control it until the floor goes down.

There are low spots that will need to be leveled. The base-plate for the wall that was separating the garage -- which is now living space and has the floor in question -- and the main foundation is probably a quarter-inch lower than either floor. So, that's one area that needs to be leveled out.

Say I don't seal the concrete, will the dust be able to permeate the flooring once it's laid?

I wouldn't want that to happen.

You should be putting down an underlay that will act as a barrier.

There are low spots that will need to be leveled. The base-plate for the wall that was separating the garage -- which is now living space and has the floor in question -- and the main foundation is probably a quarter-inch lower than either floor. So, that's one area that needs to be leveled out.

So there you go, if you can't level it yourself hire someone to do it and that will take care of your dusting problem. It will have to be done sooner or later.

A qtr of an inch dip is nothing to be concerned about when installing a glue down wood floor, much less a floating wood floor.

The wood floor installer will take care of it.

Last edited:
A qtr of an inch dip is nothing to be concerned about when installing a glue down wood floor, much less a floating wood floor.

Hardwood isn't usually floating, laminate floors are. And if you're a good floor layer you will try to achieve the most level conditions before installing to extend the life of the floor.

Hardwood isn't usually floating, laminate floors are. And if you're a good floor layer you will try to achieve the most level conditions before installing to extend the life of the floor.
The wood floor installer will be experienced in such instances & will know how to take care of it properly. No sense in getting anyone else in beforehand.

The wood floor installer will be experienced in such instances & will take care of it. No sense in getting anyone else in beforehand.

If the floor needs to be floated, the same installer can come in before hand to prep and then do the floor later. I use to do this all the time. We don't know what his options are.

Be sure to store all of your wood flooring inside the room for a week before the install so it can acclimate.

Epoxy floor paint would do it

The wood installer will likely offer to do any feathering necessary just to get the job if you mention it during the bidding process. Be honest & forthright but don't invite him to charge you extra by being overly fussy or showing too much concern.

The wood installer will likely offer to do any feathering necessary just to get the job if you mention it during the bidding process. Be honest & forthright but don't invite him to charge you extra by being overly fussy or showing too much concern.

This is true, but he also needs to be wary of shitty installers who bang off jobs too quickly and leave you with a floor that will fail after 5 years.

This is true, but he also needs to be wary of shitty installers who bang off jobs too quickly and leave you with a floor that will fail after 5 years.
ie

Don't use a carpet guy who "also" does wood flooring ;). They'll use the wrong Leveler.

Referrals from family or friends who have recently had wood flooring installed & whose opinion you trust are gold dust, imo.

Back