Question for Brazilian/Asian/foreign fans

ThaiPlumRillo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Im just wondering if most of yall prefer to see your countryman fight rather than other good matchups? I see that they usually try and put fighters from that country on the card even though they arent that good,past prime etc.

All im saying is the Texas cards have locals too but the rest of the fights are usually pretty relevant.

Some events are really annoying. I mean, they put lots of brazilian guys that are simply random, the impression we have is that UFC just get some br dude and put any card with a big star. It sucks most of time. I had the opportunity to go on 2 UFC events and didn't go because the card wasn't attractive.

Relevant fights with relevant fighters.

When the UFC cards in Brasil are mostly TUF alumns I don't even watch, and squash matches are boring to me. Then again, they ARE sending Bethe to the slaughterhouse against Ronda, so...

Some events are really annoying. I mean, they put lots of brazilian guys that are simply random, the impression we have is that UFC just get some br dude and put any card with a big star. It sucks most of time. I had the opportunity to go on 2 UFC events and didn't go because the card wasn't attractive.

I bet it is, im sure you still support them but im sure you'd rather have some bigger names not from Brazil.

Prefer to see a good local fighter over a good foreign fighter. If it's a guy like Pendred, I'd rather watch the foreigner.

Good match-up.

Countryman marketing level is for noobs.

Well I think that it's a promotional strategy to sell tickets to the actual arena.

For example, there was supposed to be a guy fight on the recent montreal card as a late replacement. Steve Bosse I think. The hockey enforcer guy. Anyways, he has really longstanding roots in the city and he mentioned that having him on the card along would bring in about another 1000 people to the arena because his friends and family would show up and he has a wide circle. Thats a lot of people especially considering that 186 tarped off the 200 and 300 level seats due to low sales.

Anyways, that's an explanation of why they do it. Do I like it? No I think it's BS. I think that they are assuming that they need to cater to uneducated fans so they put on irrelevant fights featuring local fighters to sell tickets rather than meaningful fights.

I much prefer good fights involving good contenders. IDGAF where they're from. But I'm a "hardcore" fan, whereas I expect many people here, in England, are casuals, so they would prefer cards chocked full of Ross Pearson, Andy Ogle, Brad Pickett, etc. It's frustrating, considering the UFC only comes here once every year, if we're lucky.

Prefer to see a good local fighter over a good foreign fighter. If it's a guy like Pendred, I'd rather watch the foreigner.

Irish guys don't even want to see Pendred fight...

I'd rather watch the best fighters available but I admit that when a compatriot steps in the octagon I watch with a bit more interest than I would another fighter of comparable skill and repute.

Local fighters bring casual support. I would rather see good fights. I understand rooting for your homeboy but I feel pretty bad when legends are booed.

I much prefer good fights involving good contenders. IDGAF where they're from. But I'm a "hardcore" fan, whereas I expect many people here, in England, are casuals, so they would prefer cards chocked full of Ross Pearson, Andy Ogle, Brad Pickett, etc. It's frustrating, considering the UFC only comes here once every year, if we're lucky.

Man thats what im saying, i doubt you wanna see pearson on every main card over there,or norman parke if youre irish.

Shit id be pissed if somebody like tj waldburger was on every texas main card.

A good fight is what i prefer, if i get to watch a Mexican fight there im good with that, i dont appreciate the UFC pushing some guy with a shitty record only to appeal the "local" crowd/country tho.

Luckily New York produced Jones and Weidman, so if they were trying to play the hometown pride card, I'd end up seeing great fighters. Of course, MMA is illegal here, so there's that.

Wouldn't mind seeing da best evah fight, either.

I like watching good brazilians fight good foreigners. I hate the UFC's idea that all fights need to have brazilians. If they put a title fight between Ronda and a non brazilians here, she will have massive support. Same thing with Jones or other well known guys. Hell, Mighty Mouse would probably have more support here than he gets in the US if fighting a non brazilian.

Back