Question for Blue Belts and up...

Jd Hidlebaugh

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
How long (on average) did it take each of you to move from white to blue belt?

Just curious.

Thanks.

About 1.5 years since I started grappling, about 1 year after I started BJJ using a gi.

7 and 1/2 months... i had about 8 mths of JJJ before that though, and good competition results

2 years. my school held belt promotions once a year in conjunction with an in house tourney. I missed the first promo and had to wait a another year to get promoted. we had some white belts that were technically high blues cause they never would go to the promos ( the promo event costs $100 per student)

7 months. 2 of those months were 2 a days/6 days a week preparing for the pan ams, which i went 2-1 in.

About a year, however I had trained no-gi submission grappling for a couple years informally before beginning formal BJJ classes. 3 1/2 years after that for purple.

About a year, however I had trained no-gi submission grappling for a couple years informally before beginning formal BJJ classes. 3 1/2 years after that for purple.

You're all superstars.

2 years in, white belt.

Almost all gi, all the time.

I actually only started posting so much recently to get a belt with some color.

I suspect I'll get my blue belt after around.. 4 years. Pity belt.

Sigh

Around two years I think...GOD that was a long time ago though...

I have no idea when the hell I'll ever get my purple.

took me the standard 2 years for blue, including a few months off when my son was born.

About 2 years. I only was able to train about twice a week at the time, but I had a solid wrestling base so I suppose that canceled it out. Cause it's hard to advance training so infrequently. But all in all, about 2 years.

9 months of active training

(Year and 3 months total but i took 6 months off for my knee)

Sigh

Around two years I think...GOD that was a long time ago though...

I have no idea when the hell I'll ever get my purple.

Haha i know the feeling. You have to enjoy getting your blue belt because you're going to have it for years...

Back