Question for all you BJJ guys

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Rambo121, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Rambo121

Rambo121 Blue Belt

Hey guys,

So heres whats going on, I have trained Jiu Jitsu now for about 2-3 years and to make a long story short; I trained at a BJJ school run by a purple belt for 2 years before it went under. During which time I recieved 4 stripes on my white belt from the purple. After the club went under I trained at a MMA club for a year doing No-gi ect.

So now I want to get into pure BJJ again and I found a club iam interested in, so my question is do you think I should wear my 4 stripe belt there and explain where I got this ect? OR, should i remove the stripes and say I never trained under a Black Belt which is true?

The truth being I just want to train and dont want to insult/disrepsect the instructor showing up with 4 stripes looking like I just want to get my blue belt.
    Know what I mean? Or maybe iam just over reacting and I shouldnt worry about it. just thought id try and get some insight.

Whats your call?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Ask your instructor. Something like "do you prefer to give stripes your self because I could take these off if you like".

With that much experience behind you, it probably won't matter much.

Also...always good to explain.

3. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

yeah explain... don't go into a new school wearing a belt you didn't get from that school, unless the instructor says it's ok

4. village_idiot

village_idiot Blue Belt

They're just stripes, I doubt anyone will really care that much. In my opinion its not the same as being formally ranked with a belt level.

Plus if you've been training for 3 years its not like your going to look out of place.

5. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Just ask the new instructor. Tell him you earned four stripes under a purple belt, but its been a while since you trained. Do whatever he says, but I doubt he will care.

6. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I would ask the instructor or just take them off. If you do well with other people there that have multiple stripes he will slap them on your belt in no time anyways

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Just wear your belt with the stripes on it. If he asks you questions about it, answer completely honestly. He will probably let you keep the stripes, but if he wants you to take them off, he will tell you.

Given that you have experience and have been awarded stripes, he probably will not want you to wear a blank white belt. Instructors HATE gym sandbaggers. Having stripes on your belt will let him know that you aren't one of those guys who comes in pretending to be a noob just to smash the actual noobs.

8. esum80

esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

i would go early on the first day to speak with him and asks him how he feels about your previous stripes

9. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

I don't think it's a big deal, and definitely do not think it is disrespectful to keep the stripes. Why remove the stripes? You earned them. Back when I started at my club here, I was a two stripe white belt. My instructor asked me where I had trained previously and for how long. It wasn't a biggie at all.

10. krait

krait Purple Belt

I say wear them and if he asks tell him. You earned them. Its not like your trying to wear a Judo or JJJ rank.

Besides how many of us have seen people do a drop in class of switch schools. No one gets told they have to give up what belt /stripes they already had when they enter the building.

11. Rambo121

Rambo121 Blue Belt

alright thanks guys,

cheers

12. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

Any "rank" before blue belt is no rank at all. And stripes from some obscure purple belt probably wont stand with a black belt.

Rank will be maintained at other academies given that you were ranked by a qualified instructor with veritable lineage. I.E. if I went to JJU, I would absolutely wear my Blue belt becasue if one of their instructors questioned it they would be questioning my prof. and my prof's professor and if they did that they would be questioning Renzo Gracie and Carlos Gracie Jr. and then the whole concept of BJJ lineage falls apart, see what I mean?

Please don't feel asthough I'm belittling your accomplishments, just go in and explain your situation. My feeling is that

A: The instructor wont care about your electrical tape

or

B: He'll just have you roll with some blues to gauge where you're at. Who knows? Maybe he'll be damned impressed with your level of knowledge and promote you to blue on the spot.:icon_chee

13. RussSommers

RussSommers Yellow Belt

I would meet with the instructor and discuss your history, then request to begin with a clean white belt. Leave it to your instructor to add the stripes. If you are at the blue belt level, you will transition through your white belt quickly. But I feel it shows your instructor respect to allow him to assess your skills. Because after all, if you are going to be training under him, your belt should reflect his assessment of your skills.

14. RG45

RG45 Blue Belt

Just wear your stripes, I know everyone likes to think highly of their academies, but the rank system has really started to decline.

I don't think most people trust a belt rank until they see it in action anyways.

Like everyone else said, don't think too highly of it, I've seen purples come from random places and get schooled by white belts and they don't leave their belts behind.

15. irc

irc Brown Belt

no one cares about your 4 stripes. keep em, toss em, say something, dont say anything.

16. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

If no one cares, why did u post and why are people responding?

To the TS, simply ask your professor before class and see what he thinks.

17. BJJsb

BJJsb White Belt

just walk right in and demand your blue.

18. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

personally if i were to be training at the gym you were gonna enter i'd like you to wear your stripes so that i feel better about it when i get smashed.

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

why is a purple belt giving stripes away at the first place?

20. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

i thought a belt could promote, but only to a belt ranked lower than his. by right a purple should be able to give out stripes right?