Question: Are fighters allowed to wear ankle supports / Knee supports?

EXOICHO

PRIDE
@Black
Reaction score
or does reebok tell them that unless its reebok branded they aren't allowed?

Wasn't Luke wearing a knee one during his last fight.

Why was Pete Williams allowed to headkick with boots on

Wasn't Luke wearing a knee one during his last fight.
I thought that was a shin sleeve to cover his staph.

I remember seeing Dom Cruz have both his ankles heavily wrapped against Garbrandt. I was wondering why it was allowed. They looked as thick as a cast

cody-garbrandt-dominick-cruz-ufc-207-2.jpg

Why was Pete Williams allowed to headkick with boots on
No rule against it back then. I dont think it makes that much of a difference tho. They help w traction more than anything. Wrestlers would wear them. Makes it harder to escape leglocks tho

Joe Lauzon was saying on his podcast recently that tape and wraps rules vary depending on what commission you are fighting under " In New Jersey any tape must be approved by NJ commission, but only if opponent allows it" Each place is different so you pretty much go into the fight not knowing if they will chop the tape or supports off or not. If anyone makes a fuss that tape/support is coming off fast.

It is just another clusterfuck move based off every commission wanting to have different rules. Fighters and fans both seem to be oblivious to some of these strange rules. The sooner we get actual universal rules across the world then it is still a double edged sword. Maybe they will force you to remove braces, tapes and supports. Maybe they won't. Is it legal? Maybe. Is it illegal? Maybe.. There is still so much grey area in MMA because the buffoon commissions can't get together and agree on anything.

It is really crazy when you think about it. Lives are on the line and these dorks can't even agree on anything as simple as a ankle wrap. Imagine if NHL, NBA, NFL and Soccer had a different rule set for every state, province and country.. It would be a big mess and fuck ups would occur every single event..

Last edited:
Joe Lauzon was saying on his podcast recently that tape and wraps rules vary depending on what commission you are fighting under " In New Jersey any tape must be approved by NJ commission, but only if opponent allows it" Each place is different so you pretty much go into the fight not knowing if they will chop the tape or supports off or not. If anyone makes a fuss that tape/support is coming off fast.

interesting, thanks for the info

Always wondered that
Frank Mir often fought with both knees and both ankles wrapped lol

Anybody shed light why it would be beneficial? Helps with springiness? Assists in battling fatigue?

No rule against it back then. I dont think it makes that much of a difference tho. They help w traction more than anything. Wrestlers would wear them. Makes it harder to escape leglocks tho

"UFC 3 - The referee was officially given the authority to stop a fight in case of a fighter being unable to defend himself. A fighter could not kick if he was wearing shoes. This rule would be discarded in later competitions."

Sited : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Fighting_Championship#Evolution_of_the_rules

Found it. Had it, then took rule away

Last edited:
I remember Dan Kelly wearing a bunch of wraps but think he fought on a card once where it wasn't allowed.

He normally wore them on both ankles and at least one knee

I remember Dan Kelly wearing a bunch of wraps but think he fought on a card once where it wasn't allowed.

He normally wore them on both ankles and at least one knee

Dan Kelly's leg would have literally fallen apart without that stuff

Ankle injuries are a constant problem. Can never be too careful with em if they got broken before

Reebok would have never let Randy fight in this.
kingsargon.jpg

Always wondered that
Frank Mir often fought with both knees and both ankles wrapped lol

Anybody shed light why it would be beneficial? Helps with springiness? Assists in battling fatigue?
Support. The reason wraps are worn in every sport, since the beginning of time. lol

Lifelong BJJ, wrestling and catastrophic motorcycle accident will make you want to protect what you got.

Back