Question about volume pertaining to deadlifts...

gspieler

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
OK, use deadlift, squat, bench press, clean and press as foundation of training to build strength/power. Just about to start each workout with 3x3 of at least one of these moves. I typically wear a belt when training this heavy, but in addition to 3x3 want to do 6-8 sets of 8-10 reps raw of same exercise to contribute to core strength and muscular endurance. Works out well with most moves, but I've read that deadlift is excessiveley hard on central nervous system and to keep those low-volume. Wonderin' anybody have any thoughts/personal experience with this?

Generally the more muscle/weight you use for a particular lift, the fewer total reps you will do. Also, you probably don't want to do 6-8 sets of 8-10 reps afterwards. 5x10 would be plenty.

Why not just do the Wendler 5/3/1 with BBB (big but boring) which means 5x10 of the lift you just did, done as assistance. Plus there's the added bonus of 5/3/1 having an excellent plan for progression.

At the beginning of this year I did deadlifts 5 * 5, and it got me from about 90 kgs max to 110 kgs max in a couple months.

Then I did deads in clusters, meaning that I took a weight i could do 5 with, but then did 3, rested for 10 seconds, 3 more, 10 seconds rest, and then 3 more. That was one set. I did 5 * 9 (clustered) that way. Got my deadlifts up to about 130 in a couple more months.

Then I started doing 5/3/1 - this was great for reps, but three and a half cycles only added 10 kgs to my deadlift. I got stronger for sure, since I could do more reps, but my 1RM was not increasing very much. That landed me at 140.

Then, about a month ago, I started doing texas method. This calls for 1*5 deadlifts a week, or 5 heavy singles. I do 5 heavy singles. So 5 deadlifts a week. Now my deadlift is 165 kgs as of yesterday - I've been adding 5 kgs a week for 5 weeks.

Long story short - less volume is happy times for deadlifts, at least it seems that way to me.

Thnx for the pointers. The idea of of doing 3 sets or so of low weight at the beginning for strength, then higher reps of the same move for accessory work was kindof the idea. I think I'll probably do 3x3's of dl's but use pullups and rows as for assistance; they all work the same area. As for the others, I've found nothing better than squats and bench presses both for building strength and endurance for their muscle groups. Guess you cant beat the basics.

One thing that allways killed my deadlift was high volume.

Now I only work up to 1RM.

At the beginning of this year I did deadlifts 5 * 5, and it got me from about 90 kgs max to 110 kgs max in a couple months.

Then I did deads in clusters, meaning that I took a weight i could do 5 with, but then did 3, rested for 10 seconds, 3 more, 10 seconds rest, and then 3 more. That was one set. I did 5 * 9 (clustered) that way. Got my deadlifts up to about 130 in a couple more months.

Then I started doing 5/3/1 - this was great for reps, but three and a half cycles only added 10 kgs to my deadlift. I got stronger for sure, since I could do more reps, but my 1RM was not increasing very much. That landed me at 140.

Then, about a month ago, I started doing texas method. This calls for 1*5 deadlifts a week, or 5 heavy singles. I do 5 heavy singles. So 5 deadlifts a week. Now my deadlift is 165 kgs as of yesterday - I've been adding 5 kgs a week for 5 weeks.

Long story short - less volume is happy times for deadlifts, at least it seems that way to me.

Your changing your program quite a bit never really letting you get the most from the program, especially in the case of the 5/3/1

A lot of people find lower reps (1-3) work bets for DLs.

I, personally, just work up to a heavy set of 3 reps. One warm up set, usually 225 for 8 reps, as fast as possible. Then 4-5 sets of 3 reps, increasing weight each set. It does the job.

I've done much better with lower rep ranges (1-3) for deads. Sometimes I won't do anymore than 5-8 singles at 90% or so.

As far as Vodoo's forays into 5/3/1 I think it wasn't changing the routine that was the problem but training advancement. If you can still make decent gains every week using the texas method or even the original starting strength you should stick with that. You will put a lot more poundage on your lifts in the same amount of time as 5/3/1.

Don't get me wrong I think 5/3/1 is a great program but I see way too many people jumping on the bandwagon when they could be adding 5lbs per week to their squat still just by eating more and/or backing off and going back up in weight.

I prefer high volume for deadlifts. And by high i mean around 5 range.
Everyone can up their deadlift from around BW to 2xBW using any rep range, its going past 2xBW where it gets tricky.
I think that 3-5 reps for deadlift is optimal for improving technique and muscle. people tend to have terrible form when they work up to a 1RM, usually the mindset with a 1rm is "do whatever i need to do to lift the weight", whereas in 3-5 reps you can tell when your form is crappy and you can simply just stop there.

I've done much better with lower rep ranges (1-3) for deads. Sometimes I won't do anymore than 5-8 singles at 90% or so.

As far as Vodoo's forays into 5/3/1 I think it wasn't changing the routine that was the problem but training advancement. If you can still make decent gains every week using the texas method or even the original starting strength you should stick with that. You will put a lot more poundage on your lifts in the same amount of time as 5/3/1.

Don't get me wrong I think 5/3/1 is a great program but I see way too many people jumping on the bandwagon when they could be adding 5lbs per week to their squat still just by eating more and/or backing off and going back up in weight.

The "problem" with 5/3/1 was that I got on it too early, when I had more n00b gains in me. After switching to Texas (which I did on recommendation from the heroes of the S&C) I've gotten a whole lot stronger especially with deadz. And that probably is a result of lower volume.

Back