Question about USASA and Fighters Who Train Abroad

You are right, it would be a rather obvious loophole

USADA are a national anti doping agency, responsible for testing in the US, and are signatories to the WADA code.

Also signatories to the WADA code are UKAD (in the UK), AFLD (in France), Thai Anti Doping (In Thailand), Sport Ireland (In Ireland), ABCD (In Brazil), ASADA (In Australia), CCES (in Canada) etc etc...

All national anti doping agencies use a central database called ADAMS for test planning, collections, analysis and reporting. All the anti doping agencies are connected to it.

If USADA want someone tested who is in Thailand, they simple raise the mission orders in the system and Thai anti doping do it for them, or ASADA, or UKAD, or whoever else..

it of course works in reverse.. If there is a Thai olympic hurdler for instance, who trains in the US, they raise the mission order, USADA do it for them.

The only exception to this is Brazil where USADA do actually have a dedicated team of brazilian nationals, employed by them and trained by them, purely for testing in Brazil.

Thanks, that was quite informative. What if a fighter is training in country other than those? Do they, as another poster suggests above, travel for testing abroad?

So, I was wondering about this. What kind of jurisdiction does USADA have to test fighters who train or live primarily abroad? I ask this because it seems like it would be a rather obvious loophole if all a fighter needed to get away with cheating was to travel for training during cycles.

if a usada collecters shows up at your house you submit a sample simple.

The only exception to this is Brazil where USADA do actually have a dedicated team of brazilian nationals, employed by them and trained by them, purely for testing in Brazil.

Was this system introduced solely for the UFC? When did they start doing this?

So, I was wondering about this. What kind of jurisdiction does USADA have to test fighters who train or live primarily abroad? I ask this because it seems like it would be a rather obvious loophole if all a fighter needed to get away with cheating was to travel for training during cycles.

Example being vitor Belfort lol

Its in their contract to let representatives test them at certified labs.

Thanks, that was quite informative. What if a fighter is training in country other than those? Do they, as another poster suggests above, travel for testing abroad?
Every country in the world pretty much was a Wada affiliated anti doping agency. I just didn't feel it necessary to list them all :)

Was this system introduced solely for the UFC? When did they start doing this?

Up to then they used abcd (Brazilian anti doping) to do it, but such is the number of athletes there they employed their own dedicated team. Probably most of the collectors they employ also work for abcd as well though

Back