Question about USASA and Fighters Who Train Abroad

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So, I was wondering about this. What kind of jurisdiction does USADA have to test fighters who train or live primarily abroad? I ask this because it seems like it would be a rather obvious loophole if all a fighter needed to get away with cheating was to travel for training during cycles.

If it was as easy as this, Jones would be in Thailand for sure.

All i know is that all these brazilian broads are on the sauce

I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine USADA still finds a way to get to them. If not the whole thing is a joke. That would be a massive loophole that we would probably know about by now.

Nothing stops the USADA from finding you..

rock.jpg

Good point, I guess to be cleared by Usada you need to submit a certain number of tests per year, and they could take tests after every event. I don't know, good question

So, I was wondering about this. What kind of jurisdiction does USADA have to test fighters who train or live primarily abroad? I ask this because it seems like it would be a rather obvious loophole if all a fighter needed to get away with cheating was to travel for training during cycles.
You are right, it would be a rather obvious loophole

USADA are a national anti doping agency, responsible for testing in the US, and are signatories to the WADA code.

Also signatories to the WADA code are UKAD (in the UK), AFLD (in France), Thai Anti Doping (In Thailand), Sport Ireland (In Ireland), ABCD (In Brazil), ASADA (In Australia), CCES (in Canada) etc etc...

All national anti doping agencies use a central database called ADAMS for test planning, collections, analysis and reporting. All the anti doping agencies are connected to it.

If USADA want someone tested who is in Thailand, they simple raise the mission orders in the system and Thai anti doping do it for them, or ASADA, or UKAD, or whoever else..

it of course works in reverse.. If there is a Thai olympic hurdler for instance, who trains in the US, they raise the mission order, USADA do it for them.

The only exception to this is Brazil where USADA do actually have a dedicated team of brazilian nationals, employed by them and trained by them, purely for testing in Brazil.

Last edited:
Brazil is crooked as fuck. Remember when Aldo camp had the tester arrested?

You are right, it would be a rather obvious loophole

USADA are a national anti doping agency, responsible for testing in the US, and are signatories to the WADA code.

Also signatories to the WADA code are UKAD (in the UK), AFLD (in France), Thai Anti Doping (In Thailand), Sport Ireland (In Ireland), ABCD (In Brazil), ASADA (In Australia), CCES (in Canada) etc etc...

All national anti doping agencies use a central database called ADAMS for test planning, collections, analysis and reporting. All the anti doping agencies are connected to it.

If USADA want someone tested who is in Thailand, they simple raise the mission orders in the system and Thai anti doping do it for them, or ASADA, or UKAD, or whoever else..

it of course works in reverse.. If there is a Thai olympic hurdler for instance, who trains in the US, they raise the mission order, USADA do it for them.

The only exception to this is Brazil where USADA do actually have a dedicated team of brazilian nationals, employed by them and trained by them, purely for testing in Brazil.
what if you live on a yacht on international waters? How can they get your samples then?

what if you live on a yacht on international waters? How can they get your samples then?

This yacht has a full gym, with training partners etc?

If USADA believed that your whereabouts showed a deliberate pattern of either deception or attempting to avoid being tested then that on its own would be enough to charge you with a doping violation.

United_States_Adult_Soccer_Association.svg_.png

#SoccerCageCrew

Yes they don't test anyone abroad, that's why only Americans have tested positive so far.

This yacht has a full gym, with training partners etc?

If USADA believed that your whereabouts showed a deliberate pattern of either deception or attempting to avoid being tested then that on its own would be enough to charge you with a doping violation.
have they ever penalized someone over "pattern of avoidance"?

USADA Travels to anywhere Fighters are training. (they have to report where they are).

have they ever penalized someone over "pattern of avoidance"?

not for something as ridiculous as living on a yacht in international waters, but theres been plenty of athletes who have racked up multiple whereabouts.

probably the most famous avoidance one was Michael Rasmussen who was chucked out of the Tour de France while leading

He had claimed a month before he was in Mexico (and filed that he was riding and training in random mexican mountains) to make it hard for testers to find him.

trouble is, he was spotted in Italy, riding through the dolomites

Back