Question about UFC 1

muaytao

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why was there no college wrestler invited to ufc 1. I dont think Royce would of been able to take down and submit a high level wrestler.

You answered your own question. The point was for Royce to win.

Why was there no college wrestler invited to ufc 1. I dont think Royce would of been able to take down and submit a high level wrestler.

Yet he still managed to submit Dan Severn?

They wouldn't let tank enter until ufc 6 for a reason lmao

Ken Shamrock was an accomplished wrestler and in UFC 1 ;)

They prefered karate mcdojo masters and fat sumo wrestlers so that hoyce and joojiiiitsu could win.

Royce subbed Seven who was an Olympic alternate. That wasn't ufc 1 but still was very early on. How much more legitimate of a wrestler did you expect them to bring in?

Subbing ken was impressive anyway. Ken was a good wrestler.

Last edited:
Ppl trying to imply ufc1 was rigged can fuck off. What would the college wrestler have done on the feet to Royce he was trained to pull guard if necessary nobody knew wtf he was doing. Shamrock would have killed any college wrestler cause they didn't actually know how to fight back then. Royce could have beat any man on earth in 1993 except Tyson cause he'd of hit him way to hard

Royce subbed Seven who was an Olympic alternate. That wasn't ufc 1 but still was very early on. How much more legitimate of a wrestler dud you expect them to bring in?

Subbing ken was impressive anyway. Ken was a good wrestler.
This.

The guy was beating guys nearly TWICE his size at times, and people still wanna shit on him. Royce vs Dan Severn would be kinda like Demian Maia vs Josh Barnett today and Maia winning by submission.

They didn't think of it. They wanted martial artists and wrestling wasn't in that category at the time.

Royce ducked Sambo/Judo/High level wrestlers for a reason. He would have gotten his ass whipped and bjj would of been exposed on a grand scale for the first time. Saku and most Shooto guys would of killed little Royce if they were invited to the early UFC events.

They would have just been subbed. Wrestlers barely knew gnp then.

Ppl trying to imply ufc1 was rigged can fuck off. What would the college wrestler have done on the feet to Royce he was trained to pull guard if necessary nobody knew wtf he was doing. Shamrock would have killed any college wrestler cause they didn't actually know how to fight back then. Royce could have beat any man on earth in 1993 except Tyson cause he'd of hit him way to hard

{<jimmies}

it was rigged. cry about it.

The only man who could have beaten Royce Gracie back then, was Marco Ruas, who i believe would have killed him.

Back