Question about the texas method

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by theoryrun, Aug 5, 2010.

1. theoryrun

theoryrun White Belt

In the sample template provided here, deadlifts are only used on fridays, for a heavy set of 1-3 reps.

This surprised me - why so little? Why not in the volume/rest phases as well? I know it's just a template, but it seems odd for an exercise to only be in the PR attempt day

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Deadlifts aren't like squats. If you put it to the test, you'll likely find that deadlifts benefit most from comparatively infrequent low volume/high intensity efforts, whereas squats actually seem to benefit more from the exact opposite (see the 20 Rep Squats program).

Form is extremely important with the deadlift (that's not to say it isn't for other lifts) and past 1-3 reps, form will inevitably break down, especially if you're going heavy and squatting, to boot.

T NATION | Dead Zone by Dave Tate

Of course, everybody is different and you should find what works for you and train towards your own personal needs/goals/abilities etc. That template is just an example of the above prerogative.

3. theoryrun

theoryrun White Belt

ahh awesome, that makes sense. I knew I was missing some information. Thanks for the reply.

A second question about the program;

I want to encorperate power cleans as well, where should they fit into this basic template? Would I switch out an exercise?

I know it's just a guide and template, and the theory behind it is the driving force, but I have no idea where I would benefit most form power cleans.

4. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

Post up the particular template that you are wanting to follow, and I will tell you. If its anything like the original "texas method" that i wrote about in Rips book practical programming (which is not the origination of the program, but is the first place that it was called "texas method") powercleans should go on wednesday.

5. theoryrun

theoryrun White Belt

here is the template I was looking at - it's a spreadsheet (.xls)

6. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

wow, thats a pretty good layout of the system. I am impressed.

replace rows on wednesday with 3-5 sets of 3 on the power clean.

7. theoryrun

theoryrun White Belt

thanks for responding in my thread. I'm honored!

Do you think one would benefit from jump squats thrown in somewhere in this program as well? I'm trying to develop a little more explosiveness. (I've done 5X5 type work for a while now)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010