Question about The Sopranos

Roger FedorAIR

It ain't easy being white
Reaction score
I'd never watched it before, and only recently picked it up, and am currently on Epsiode 2 of Season 2.

My question is; Does the show get any better?

I was looking for a series to get into, and had often read that this was supposedly one of the greatest ever, but I'm struggling to get that interested in it.

To me, Tony Soprano is obviously a very likable character and is well played, but beyond that, the overall story of the show seems to be a little thin...

As of right now, outside of the dynamic between Tony and his shrink, the show feels to me like it's nothing more than the average mafia story; with a power struggle, a federal investigation, a rat, some guys getting whacked, etc...

Hoping to save myself from investing anymore time into something that has yet to really get me hooked, I'd just like to ask you guys:

Does the show get exponentially better?

Does the storyline ever expand beyond the typical mafia story?

Have others felt the show starts off incredibly slow but found that it became more rewarding as the show progressed?

Maybe my expectations are just way off, but as of right now, I'm struggling to see how this show is one of the best shows of all time.

Hmm yeah if you don't like it now its best to stop watching it man.

Might not be your cup of tea.

Ya it does.

Ever seen The Shield?

The Shield is solid. watch that too.

Im on the second last episode of the shield.

Wont post any spoilers but damn its been a good ride.

On my second watch through the series, I liked it much better. The first few seasons seemed a drag for me just because Olivia is such a pain in the ass. I had really high hopes for it since I never saw a single episode until the very last season since I didn't get the movie channels, but I felt a little bummed out due to the immediate family issues instead of the typical mafia junk I was expecting.

You should stop watching it. They do more mafia stuff and the kids have some side stuff. Some interesting characters show up.

Season 2-3 are probably the best.

If you aren't a big fan of mafia + comedy, then you won't be of this. No point forcing yourself to watch something

I never understood why people like that show so much...

If you aren't a big fan of mafia + comedy, then you won't be of this. No point forcing yourself to watch something

I don't dislike mafia, and enjoy all of the classic gangster films, and I do love comedy, but don't find this show to be particularly funny, although I can see some situational humor from time to time...

That said, I was already kind of leaning towards your last point, but just felt that if the show is really that outstanding as I had often heard, then maybe sticking it out, might end up being worth it? Maybe I was wrong...

Things pick up in the later seasons and the tension increases exponentially, I would definitely recommend watching it further along past the point where Tony's mother dies. The final season is particularly great and I found myself rewatching the series finale numerous times.

The striking dream sequences and the creeping sense of dread that pervades Tony's life are what makes The Sopranos so interesting and much more than just a typical mafia show. The Wire is also great, each season focuses on a different facet of the city and it makes for compelling viewing.

Things pick up in the later seasons and the tension increases exponentially, I would definitely recommend watching it further along past the point where Tony's mother dies. The final season is particularly great and I found myself rewatching the series finale numerous times.

I might normally be a little pissed about getting spoiled, but being as how the story so far has been so incredibly predictable, I can't say that it's not like I didn't already see that coming...

I'm at the point now where Tony's dumb fuck sister shows up, and it's so obvious that she's about to get in between the mother and Tony, and probably get manipulated, and man, I just really don't care to watch for that kind of storyline...

I might normally be a little pissed about getting spoiled, but being as how the story so far has been so incredibly predictable, I can't say that it's not like I didn't already see that coming...

I'm at the point now where Tony's dumb fuck sister shows up, and it's so obvious that she's about to get in between the mother and Tony, and probably get manipulated, and man, I just really don't care to watch for that kind of storyline...

My bad about spoiling that plot point, I honestly didn't realize it as I was typing since the series has been out for so long. I will say that much more surprising and shocking things happen as the show progresses and it is definitely worthwhile to invest your time. Tony's sister Janice is somewhat of an annoying character i'll give you that.

The striking dream sequences and the creeping sense of dread that pervades Tony's life are what makes The Sopranos so interesting and much more than just a typical mafia show. The Wire is also great, each season focuses on a different facet of the city and it makes for compelling viewing.

I'm borrowing my bro's HBO login, and after watching True Detective (which was mind-blowingly awesome), I was split between, either, The Wire, or The Sopranos...

Starting to feel like I chose wrong.

I enjoyed it much more and on a completely different level the second time watching it. There is so much going on and characters seemingly popping up out of nowhere that end up being important but on second watch, you can see the groundwork (and sometimes even the characters) being apparent earlier than you thought.

But ya, if it hasn't grabbed you yet, you're probably not going to like the rest any more.

I enjoyed it much more and on a completely different level the second time watching it. There is so much going on and characters seemingly popping up out of nowhere that end up being important but on second watch, you can see the groundwork (and sometimes even the characters) being apparent earlier than you thought.

But ya, if it hasn't grabbed you yet, you're probably not going to like the rest any more.

The background characters becoming more important was one of my favorite things about the show.

I'm borrowing my bro's HBO login, and after watching True Detective (which was mind-blowingly awesome), I was split between, either, The Wire, or The Sopranos...

Starting to feel like I chose wrong.

Yeah, True Detective was amazing. All I can say about The Sopranos is give it time, with regards to The Wire it's somewhat of a slow burn show with season 4 being the best IMO.

Back