Question about the Mitrione KO

I'll agree Herb should have done more to break up the fight it was poor reffing on his part. I just feel Meathead should get some of the blame as well. I like Meathead but its not like the mouthpiece was knocked out, he spat it out. If theres two things they teach you early in striking its keep your damn mouthguard in and if something is wrong circle out and start a New exchange on your terms. Mitrione did neither which leads me to think it didnt matter to him until he got hit lol

Could be, he's not called meathead for no reason right?! He might have been enjoying fighting without a mouthpiece - I didn't realize he spat it out.

Could be, he's not called meathead for no reason right?! He might have been enjoying fighting without a mouthpiece - I didn't realize he spat it out.

Very true! I think Meathead liked how the exchange was going since Nelson wasn't really landing and didn't want to break it off. One right hand to your mouthguard-less jaw from Big Country probably had him mentally reevaluating that decision though

A mouthguard does nothing to prevent concussions. The mouthguard helps prevent teeth from breaking each other, and helps prevent teeth from cutting cheek or tongue tissue in the mouth. A mouthguard does nothing about displacing impact internally. Mouthguard or not, the pressure forces from a punch will pass through to the bone structure of the head, rattling the brain. With no mouthguard, a punch would compress upper and lower teeth together, possibly breaking them or tearing tissue, before the compression wave passed to the brain. Whether the teeth are breaking as the pressure wave moves through is irrelevant. Possibly a different mouthpiece design will help prevent concussions, but not what fighters use to date.

British Journal of Sports Medicine

He spit his mouthpiece out for fucks sake. They were both within punching range of each other the entire time Herb was looking for an opportunity to give it back. He did absolutely nothing wrong.

A mouthguard does nothing to prevent concussions. The mouthguard helps prevent teeth from breaking each other, and helps prevent teeth from cutting cheek or tongue tissue in the mouth. A mouthguard does nothing about displacing impact internally. Mouthguard or not, the pressure forces from a punch will pass through to the bone structure of the head, rattling the brain. With no mouthguard, a punch would compress upper and lower teeth together, possibly breaking them or tearing tissue, before the compression wave passed to the brain. Whether the teeth are breaking as the pressure wave moves through is irrelevant. Possibly a different mouthpiece design will help prevent concussions, but not what fighters use to date.

Thanks for the link.

Having a mouth piece in definitely affects your cardio, it's much more awkward to breathe in my experience.

As for actually stopping a KO, I doubt it would have much effect.
Then you should train more wearing your mouth piece

Then you should train more wearing your mouth piece

meh I dont train this was from my days of playing rugby, always used to hate the thing much prefered playing without it.

i doubt it changed in any way the K.o, but if i was mitrione i would be pissed at herb dean as he had time on two occasions to stop the fight to allow the replacement of the mouth guard.

now i know the fighters have health insurance so if his teeth were damaged it would not cost matt any money.but who wants their teeth knocked out because a ref fucked up.

the ref didnt fuck up, mitrione fucked up by losing his mouth piece. that falls on the fighter when he cant keep his mouth piece in, u cant expect a ref to call a stop to the action immediately. fighters would be doing it all the time if that were the case

Having a mouth piece in definitely affects your cardio, it's much more awkward to breathe in my experience.

A mouthpiece is huge in stopping a KO. It stops the shock wave of blunt trauma from rattling someones brain if they are hit in the chin or the mouth. Now granted a lot of times people get hit so hard and clean it doesn't matter but yeah, a mouthpiece is a big deciding factor in whether or not someone is going unconscious.

I don't think it could have stopped the KO. Healthwise, I heard the mouthpiece protects your brain from the impact of your teeth violently slamming together. Soo a concussion is never good but the damage to his health is prob more severe. Didn't Mitrione come from pro football? His poor brain!

biting down on it helps keep the jaw in place, I am sure not having it had some effect, but taking those 3 shots in a row would have put him out anyway.

I don't buy that article. From personal experience to watching thousands of fights in person or on TV anytime someone gets their mouthpiece knocked out or it falls out, a KO is almost always on the horizon. In sparring without a mouthpiece my jaw gets wobbled around and my head snaps side to side a lot easier than if I'm able to bite down on a solid rubber cushion. I just know a mouthpiece helps protect against concussions.

I don't buy that article. From personal experience to watching thousands of fights in person or on TV anytime someone gets their mouthpiece knocked out or it falls out, a KO is almost always on the horizon. In sparring without a mouthpiece my jaw gets wobbled around and my head snaps side to side a lot easier than if I'm able to bite down on a solid rubber cushion. I just know a mouthpiece helps protect against concussions.

I agree here, that article doesn't account for intensity of the shock vibrations which are certainly lessened by the application of a mouthpiece into the equation. Incomplete science is incomplete.

More concerning was his constant stepping inside of Roy's lead leg and then trying to kick. He looked like he had no idea what he was doing which is weird because he's looked surprisingly good on the feet previously.

Am I the only one who thinks Matt was smiling when he was standing up?

Back