question about the machados

martialnoah1

White Belt
Reaction score
So there is a possibility I can go down to socal on a vacation, and I was wondering, which of the machado brothers can help my top game the best. Which of the brothers has the best top game?

i dunno but ive heard that Rigan is on roughly the same level as Rickson

What is your rank? Unless you're a brown belt or above it wont make any difference whatsoever. All of the Machados will be able to give you amazing pointers, not one more so than another.

What is your rank? Unless you're a brown belt or above it wont make any difference whatsoever. All of the Machados will be able to give you amazing pointers, not one more so than another.

This. If you're at a lower rank, you're not at the point of specialization.

Rigan and Jean Jacques are both legends.

I have to agree with what has been said here so far. If you are an advanced belt then by all means, train with Rigan. He is like a mountain. He has a series of pillow chokes that are soul crushing. That said, Jean Jacques, John, Rigan and Roger are all amazing. You'll learn a ton from any of them.

"So there is a possibility I can go down to socal on a vacation"

So who the hell are you, LMAO...

But agreed with post above. unless, your planning to move down and start taking there reg. classes.

I would go with the one that has a similar body type as you...rigan is a big guy, so his top game is probably different than a smaller guy, such as carlos

Hes a big dude, are you big? I'd agree with the body type comment.

i dunno but ive heard that Rigan is on roughly the same level as Rickson
there is a video of rickson vs rigan on youtube, rigan gets swept, mounted and armbarred in under a minute

there is a video of rickson vs rigan on youtube, rigan gets swept, mounted and armbarred in under a minute

Must not be this one. Quality is the shits but it is a pretty good match. hard to tell who is who.

I'd like to see that... anyone know where to find it?

it is on youtube, They also have matches where Rickson won on points; so don't count Rigan out as being a chump compared to Rickson. The guy is a beast, I did a seminar with him and it was very impressive.

That being said, I'd say Jean Jaque is the more innovative of all the brothers. Everyone I've ever talked to about him talk about him like he is a "wizard" their words not mine. Depending on your rank, body type and style (if you have one and if you are not at least a purple belt your style probably hasn't really developed) I'd just train with which ever one you could. It is just nice to train with legends like that.

it is on youtube, They also have matches where Rickson won on points; so don't count Rigan out as being a chump compared to Rickson. The guy is a beast, I did a seminar with him and it was very impressive.

That being said, I'd say Jean Jaque is the more innovative of all the brothers. Everyone I've ever talked to about him talk about him like he is a "wizard" their words not mine. Depending on your rank, body type and style (if you have one and if you are not at least a purple belt your style probably hasn't really developed) I'd just train with which ever one you could. It is just nice to train with legends like that.

Rigan is a BIG man and a top player. He has a SMASHING top game, the force is strong with him. Jean Jacques weighs about 170-185lbs and is a guard player. I guarantee that Jean Jacques will make you feel as if he were a 230lb man on top of you. Unless you pay privates I doubt either will show top game only.

Id go for the body type that fits you most.

My instructor has his black under Rigan and Rigan came in for a little seminar. He rolled a little with everyone in class and he was always on top and it was like wrestling a king-size mattress with octopus arms. I'm pretty sure his top game is impossible to beat, hence his legendary status and incredible match record..

Back