1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Question about obtaining sponsorship....

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hellboy31, Oct 15, 2010.

1. akharon Blue Belt

Agreed on the first sentence, not necessarily on the second though. Really, listen to that podcast. A mid-grade grappler can get cash sponsorships by community involvement. Your local Coca-cola/Pepsi distributor might give some cash if they hear you're speaking at schools about an alternative to drugs and so on. If you win mundials, they'll never hear about you, but if you're keeping little Timmy off drugs, they can get all over that.

2. AthletcBodyCare Orange Belt

We just payed for the winner of our YouTube contest to do the Miami ibjjf comp. That was a unique situation, but at the end of the day why do sponsors, sponsor? Answer that question and you'll have your answer to what they looking for. Think Nike and Jordan....

3. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

So in other words you agree completely with the second part. A sponsorship isn't a reward. In that case, it is still a company using your accomplishments to promote their product. You are just getting sponsored for something completely separate from jiu jitsu, so I don't know why you used that as a point.

Too many blue belts think they deserve sponsors because they want to do a few Grapplers Quests, and don't have the integrity to understand that you have to work hard and grind it out in the early years, IMO. Guys like Jake McKenzie, Jordon Schultz, Gianni Grippo... these are guys that PROVE their worth through hard work and results and really deserve sponsors.

MMA is a different story, as I assume it is an entirely different animal business and marketability-wise. And to those that have BJJ sponsors- be grateful. It's usually pretty generous of the company, because there isn't a huge profit to be made off sponsoring jiu jitsu athletes.

4. Hellboy31 Brown Belt

I can understand guys at higher belts getting somewhat annoyed by blue belts (or whites) receiving sponsorships... In an ideal world the hardest working and best grapplers, who've paid the most dues, would be the only ones receiving assistance. However, that's not really how things work IMO. It's the people who are aggressive and know how to ask for things that receive things like endorsements.

I've only done a few tournaments with mixed results but I think there is something people in my situation can offer... At the end of the day we are seen (when we compete). Though we might not be getting someone's product exposure to the masses, if we drive a few customers to their site, shop, brand etc, it's probably worth it for them to kick down a rashguard or two (or pay my way into a contest).

I might be a little early on the draw so I think I'm going to compete a bit more, get some good competition footage (and hopefully results) and make myself a bit more attractive to a potential sponsor... Maybe even start a blog.

Anyway, thanks for your input Kenny... Would love to come and check out 50/50 sometime... Are you back in MD teaching?

5. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Im in Brazil until mid December. But feel free to stop by 50/50 anytime if you find yourself nearby, as visitors are always encouraged to train with us

6. Jamie Hughes Amateur Fighter

making your own promo video/highlight reel and having a BJJ C.V/resume is always a good idea when trying to attact sponsers. well thats what ive heard alot of people who i know are sponserd have done.

7. Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Yeah, that's definitely part of the plan... I'm picking up a flip this week and am just going to start recording everything comps, training sessions, etc... I'm going to try to put out a 4 to 5 minute highlight video and I'm thinking about putting up a training/bjj/mma blog as well.

For the CV, I think I'm just going to keep it simple with an overview at the top of goals in the sport, accomplishments, and then list my competitions below.

I hit the phones yesterday and got some ok responses (nobody told me to drop dead). Thanks again for all the advice guys... Let's try to keep this thread going - anyone who's gotten any kind of sponsorship, if you can let us know how you obtained it, that would be awesome..