Question about my passed cat

Did I do the right thing?

• Total voters

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
When my old lady cat died - we didn't know for sure she was dying - the plan was to take her to vet next day but she died in my wife's arms at 2 am

All day we locked the two male cats in the hallway and they had access to the rest of the house and upstairs. The male cats and her never got along ... I didn't want them to disturb her

When she passed I took her out of the house and then later let the male cats back in

My coworker told me this is terrible and I should have had the male cats see the dead body - all they know is she is gone and there is a new kitten now.

I feel bad about this

did I do the wrong thing?

The next day when I took her to the vet to get cremated I felt compelled to open the box and be sure she never came back to life ... her eyes are still open

I think this whole experience bothers me but what my coworker said really bothers me.

There's an old phrase:

"Cat's don't care"

I'm sure you did a great job taking care of your cat bro! TBH they don't care about much other than what's immediately going on around them. They don't think about things like death, loss, etc... they do not experience grief over "loved ones" their brains literally aren't wired that way.

There's an old phrase:

"Cat's don't care"

I'm sure you did a great job taking care of your cat bro! TBH they don't care about much other than what's immediately going on around them. They don't think about things like death, loss, etc... they do not experience grief over "loved ones" their brains literally aren't wired that way.

They seem to have been looking for her - wondering if they should have at least know what happened

Cats have feelings? I thought they were spawns of hell.

I never put any thought into this aspect of the scenario and now I feel bad about it
Everyone deals with grief in different ways. Who are they to tell you whats right/wrong.

Should have slapped your co-worker and told then to mind his own business.

You didn't just drop that thing off on the side of the highway somewhere?

Only dogs and humans get proper burials.

Waste of money

I'm a cat fanatic but I think these co-workers are being overly dramatic. You did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
My coworker told me this is terrible and I should have had the male cats see the dead body - all they know is she is gone and there is a new kitten now.
These are old cats they've probably chewed up a bunch of birds and chipmunks and stuff. They know about death.

Should have slapped your co-worker and told then to mind his own business.

Better yet...

F3IW8D2KIPEZ7C90SK.LARGE.jpg

"Y'all want to see a dead body?"

Your coworker's full of shit.

I've never seen our cats look around when one doesn't come back.

Either they didn't get along and consequently don't care
Or, in the other cases, I assume they were well aware it was coming and are completely unsurprised. Remember the story about the nursing home cat that smelled death? They know.

Go full on Logan's Run and tell the male cats that the old lady cat has been "renewed."

your co-workers are idiots, really dumb thing of them to say.

No you did nothing wrong.

You did right. Those cats would have just ate the body.

Back