Question about my lifting schedule

KillerTKO

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Basically, i am going to be able to get to the gym an extra few times a week. So i was wondering what exercises you guys thought might be beneficial so to help me in my main lifts on back and chest exercises which i do.

My week is like this at the minute

Monday: BJJ at night 8pm-10pm

Tuesday: Chest weights - Bench Press - 3/4 sets as heavy as possible for about 10 reps with a spotter then a drop set all the way down to bare bar aiming for between 50-75 reps. Then dips 3 set of 20 reps. Then 50 pressups. Followed by sprints.

Wednesday: BJJ at night 8-10pm

Thursday: Back - Starting with pullups 4 sets of 10 wide grip then 2 sets of 10 shorter grip, then dual link row 4 heavy sets of as much as we can lift for about 10 reps with a spotter and then a drop set with 50 quick reps on the last part of the drop set. Then we move to the lateral pull down machine where we do 4 heavy sets to 10 reps with a spotter.

Friday: Thai boxing 8-10pm

Sat: BJJ 5-7

Sunday: Varies from a rest day to a session at the gym with a bit less intensity than the other days.

So within this routine, i now have time to get to the gym on the mondays and wednesdays mornings before BJJ at night as well as i could go on friday morning as well and i could add make the sunday session a regular feature.

Basically, with those added sessions in mind i was wondering what exercises i could do with freeweights preferably as i find them more beneficial in the long run but not overly fussed. What exercises could i do to increase my lifts on the chest days mainly the bench and the back days which consists of pullups. Is there any specific exercises which i could add which after doing for a few months would show improvements in those lifts which i usually do?

Cheers

So you don't train your posterior chain or entire lower body at all? If you're serious about getting stronger you'll go to the FAQ, grab one of the routines there, and then continue to read up on the subject. And I'm not trying to be a dick either.

So you don't train your posterior chain or entire lower body at all? If you're serious about getting stronger you'll go to the FAQ, grab one of the routines there, and then continue to read up on the subject. And I'm not trying to be a dick either.

I dont really train my lower body no, would that give me significant improvements in strength for my back and chest? I am a complete beginner at this as im sure you realised, i have started those lifts and that routine basically with a group of guys who already did it for a few years and they asked me if i wanted to join them so i did. Now as these guys are older and have done it longer they are all stronger so i was looking for help in order to catch up to these guys. I am quite competitive obviously, but i suppose that could be a good thing if competing with them pushes me to become a lot stronger so i can match their strength.....

Anyways, i have looked at the FAQ's a little bit and the routines, but because i have committed to doing those back and chest exercises on the tuesdays and thursdays i was looking for some other exercises for the other days which might assist me in developing, and i figured i may as well make a new topic on it because although those routines are excellent and will give me what im looking for i believe, i think sticking to my current routine but adding some other exercises to assist me will be more beneficial for the reason that on those lifts i have a spotter whereas if i took my own routine from the FAQ the other guys probably wouldnt follow me and do this one whilst theyve been doing the current one so long

I dont really train my lower body no, would that give me significant improvements in strength for my back and chest? I am a complete beginner at this as im sure you realised,

Being a beginner, you'll probably get stronger just by looking at weights but that won't last forever. And yes, training lower body will give you significant improvements in you're upper body training, especially doing dead lifts and squats.

The best help I can give you at this point is to buy Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength" and do the program and exercises in there.

You can't polish a turd and that's what you're trying to do. I mean no offense, I'm trying to help. That routine absolutely blows, dude.

he he, i appreciate the help guys... i feel quite bad now it would appear to you guys i have just come on here with no thought to finding the info myself or planning my routine... i mean i have researched a bit into my diet and my exercise programs and ive read that doing lower body stuff increases some hormone or something which makes you stronger overall and its obvious from reading anything decent on this subject that the big 3 (squat, deadlifts and bench) are the keys to any good routine... the only problem i have with doing deadlift is that it hurts my back at the minute because i injured it in some way the other week and also with squats i have a knee issue which according to people i have seen is that my cartilage has become knotted or something, it was put down to the sprinting on the treadmills because the lead leg jolts back when jumping on the treadmill.... but i will go for incorporating deadlifts and squats into my lifts where possible from now on...

Cheers Monger and everyone else

the only problem i have with doing deadlift is that it hurts my back at the minute because i injured it in some way the other week and also with squats i have a knee issue which according to people i have seen is that my cartilage has become knotted or something,

Your not doing it right. If you can do BJJ without much flexibility problem then deadlifts and squats should be a breeze. Make sure your going past parallel on the squats and make sure your back is straight on the deadlifts.

KillerTKO,

You really need to make sure you're doing squats and dead lifts correctly as well. They are probably two of the most important lifts any one could do for total body strength but they can also be dangerous if you do them like 95% of the ass clowns at my gym. That's why I recommended you buy Starting Strength. That book has the absolute best and easiest to understand descriptions of how to perform these lifts I've ever read or even seen. It would truly be an invaluable resource to a person new to lifting. Good luck to you though and I'm sorry to hear about your injuries...

p.s. sprint outside if possible and get off the treadmill.

I have just done my first day of doing squats today since i did my knee in a few months ago... i felt quite weak on the knee which is understandable.. i managed about half of what i did previously in terms of weight i did 5 sets of 10 reps... i made sure i got to the sitting position by having a low lying bench behind me so when i touched it i knew i had reached the point i had to reach.... i havent done deadlifts because there was guys all over doing daft things with the bar like one guy was doing curls with it with next to nothing on it... was a big guy though

Back