question about MT groin protector

NoiSe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just got this kind of groin protector (it's got 3 laces - 2 on the sides and 1 on the bottom) for muay thai, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to tie it up. Tried searching on here and google, but couldn't find anything. Can someone explain it please?

it ties like a thong. Get a pair of Shock Dr. compression shorts, cut off the strings and just drop the cup in the pocket. It's a lot better then a string up the crack.

www.SSFgear.com

honestly i tried the Under Armor jock for $16 and the damn cheepy bike jock for $7 does a better job imo

the jock strap method might feel okay, but once you take a shot in the pills that steel cup will move on ya, and hurt like a mutha...

the thong strap holds the cup down and keeps it from sliding up, so that steel doesn't have a shearing effect on your boys

and I suggest wearing it UNDER compression shorts...over them and the cup will definitely move laterally when struck in the nads (it happens to me a lot...I like to kick up high)

alright, thanks.. so I'm better off just wearing it as it is? I figured out how to tie it, it just takes some effort

the Shock Dr. compression shorts look kinda long, do they stick out a lot when wearing muay thai shorts?

yeah they would but you can always pull them , up there great i got a pair from ssf and tried them at training last night , you will not even realise there there , except if you do sprawls and the cup hurst if you land on it :(

BackBrainKick said:
the jock strap method might feel okay, but once you take a shot in the pills that steel cup will move on ya, and hurt like a mutha...

the thong strap holds the cup down and keeps it from sliding up, so that steel doesn't have a shearing effect on your boys

and I suggest wearing it UNDER compression shorts...over them and the cup will definitely move laterally when struck in the nads (it happens to me a lot...I like to kick up high)

I second this. I got a steel cup and some Shock Dr. shorts hoping for the perfect combination, but the shorts don't hold the cup in place securely. After a few weeks I'm getting pretty used to the thong style laces.

They could probably be a bit tighter. I've been losing weight lately, so once I settle at a weight I might give them another try.

you can also use xo and a few other brands. I know of a few guys that take zelco strips and sew them to the inside of the pocket and then glue the strips to the metal cups just to add a bit more hold to them.

www.SSFgear.com

Back