1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Question about how judging works

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Gregolian, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I am very new to this but I was wondering if someone could explain to me how Maia won his match at ADCC 2007 against Okami. Here is the vid of it:

Just curious is all.

2. Nathan LaMontagne Amateur Fighter

I'm pretty sure they don't score the first however many minutes.

3. lechien Gold Belt

no points for the first 5 minutes

4. Bebop Brown Belt

how come they don't score for the first 5 minutes?

5. From my understanding, it encourages the fighters to push the pace early on by allowing them to go for more submission attempts without the worry of becoming behind on points from losing positions.

6. Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Just was wondering since it was based on the judges what was it that Maia did better that allowed him to win? Cause Okami does pass, forces a scramble, takes his back and is working for a RNC. Maia had the Armbar attempt and kept him in his guard for the rest of the match. Was that the deciding factor? The fact that he kept Okami in his guard?

7. codemonkey76 Black Belt

found this:
    Tournament ADCC Rules | Munduruca BJJ

"Advanced – 8 minutes rounds – Points not awarded in the first 4 minutes."
    "The Points System:

TAKE DOWNS: 2 points

Any kind of knocking down of the opponent on his back side, (if the opponent lands on his front side or on all fours rather than the backside, no points will be awarded).

PASSING THE GUARD: 3 points

Is when the athlete that is above his adversary or in between his legs, moves to his opponent’s side, establishing a perpendicular or longitudinal position over his adversary’s trunk, dominating him and leaving him no space to move or to escape the position. The athlete must demonstrate clear control to score.

KNEE ON THE BELLY: 2 points

When the athlete on top puts his knee on his adversary’s stomach, holding his collar or sleeve and belt with his other leg towards his adversary’s head. No time limit is required, however the athlete must demonstrate clear control to score.

THE MOUNT: 4 points

Is when the athlete sits on his opponent’s torso; the opponent can be lying on his stomach, side or back. The athlete must have both knees on the ground, or in the case of a technical mount (properly performed according to the referee), the front foot flat on the mat and the rear knee on the mat.

THE BACK GRAB: 4 points

Is when the athlete grabs his adversary’s back, taking hold of his neck and wrapping his legs around his opponent’s waist, with his heels leaning on the inner side of his opponent’s thighs, not allowing him to leave the position.

THE SWEEP: 2 points

Is when the athlete that is underneath has his opponent in his guard (in between his legs ) or the half guard (having one of his adversary’s legs between his) and is able to get on top of his adversary by inverting his position.

IMPORTANT

The athlete cannot have scored new points when he is in a position where he received points previously, changes position intentionally and returns to the same position. Example: For knee on the belly and switching sides, there will be no new points awarded.

Illegal Techniques:

Please note that illegal techniques will likely get you disqualified and kicked out of the tournament. We do not want see competitors sustaining injuries.

No neck cranks “can opener”
    No striking of any kind
    No eye gouging or fish hooking
    No grabbing the ears
    No hair pulling
    No finger or toe holds
    No thumbing
    No scratching and pinching
    No kicking
    No biting
    No touching groin area
    No hands, knees or elbows on face
    No slippery substances allowed on body or clothing
    Winning by

Submission
    *** After 3 minutes for beginners and 5 for advanced, points will only be awarded after a pass, sweep, takedown, mount or etc happens. For example, a competitor is mounted at 2:59 (beginner) or 4:59 (advanced) into the bout, those points will not be awarded, points will be only awarded after the next position of control (back mount, takedown, sweep etc.). In other words, points will just be awarded for moves that started after the 3 minutes (beginners) or 5 minutes (advanced). ***"

8. The Apostle Green Belt

Okami DQed for stalling perhaps? Warning at 6:55, and then some multiple ones later, near the end of the match.

** Turned up my speakers - Ref states to Okami at 6:52 that this is your 2nd warning.

9. 577 White Belt

Wrong rules. The correct rules are here:

ADCC Rules & Regulations | adcombat.com

There's some weirdness in ADCC rules. There's 2- and 4- point takedowns, mount (2 points) and back mount (3-points) are worth less. There's negative points for guard-pulling, etc. Reversals get counted as sweeps.

The rules posted earlier might be from the Abu Dhabi Pro, which is pretty much scored IBJJF.

10. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

Okami doesn't pass in that match, nor does he take the back (didn't secure both hooks).

11. bjornvil Blue Belt

I find this strange:

Illegal Techniques :
    * "Full Nelson" and "Crucifix"
    * No striking of any kind
    * No eye gouging or fish hooking
    * No grabbing the ears
    * No hair pulling
    * No finger or toe holds
    * No thumbing
    * No scratching and pinching
    * No kicking
    * No biting
    * No touching groin area
    * No hands, knees or elbows on face
    * No slippery substances allowed on body or clothing

See above in bold... does this mean you can't place your knee on the opponents face, e.g. skullride, my instructor does that to me all the time? Or can't put your hand on the opponents face, e.g. when going for an armbar from mount? I put my hand on my opponents face before putting the leg over to stop him from sitting up.

12. J Sho Green Belt

hand on side of the face/ear is fine, they mean can;t put it on the centre of the face (area with eyes/mouth/nose)