Question about ground beef vs. turkey

Flounder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is 93% lean ground beef equivilent to ground turkey, or is the turkey still better? If I remember correctly, the turkey has slightly more fat.

Flounder said:
Is 93% lean ground beef equivilent to ground turkey, or is the turkey still better?

It depends on your goals. Although I don't have the real science behind it (hangs head in shame) there is some degree of 'magic' to red meat when bulking. Almost any bodybuilder will tell you to eat lean red meat off season for mass building.

Tukey has trypotophans. Maybe I'm neurotic but I avoid it as a meal a few hours before rolling.

Healthwise, red meat is 'bad' for you. As far as simply being 'healthy' you'd be better off consuming red meat very rarely.

That's all that springs to mind now. Hope it helps.

Flounder said:
Is 93% lean ground beef equivilent to ground turkey, or is the turkey still better? If I remember correctly, the turkey has slightly more fat.

Something like 3 oz. cooked serving of 90% lean ground beef has 11 grams of total fat. 3 oz. ground turkey has 11.2 grams of total fat. In any event, the lean gound beef is going to have the same or less fat as cooked ground turkey, but will probably have a little more saturated fat than the turkey. The beef has more protein. 90% ground lean beef gives you around 27g per 3 oz. the turkey gives you around 21-23g. Also, if you're watching your cholesterol, think the beef is better to go with.

You'd probably be interested in this (shows how to drain fat from regular ground beef to make it less fattening than lean beef - saves you money):

http://www.beefinfo.org/bh_lean.cfm

Good tip in that link. Thanks! I used it tonite when I made spaghetti sauce with 5 pounds of ground beef.

Thanks for all the help. I prefer beef to turkey, and this just helps me rationalize that decision more.

KOU In3 said:
It depends on your goals. Although I don't have the real science behind it (hangs head in shame) there is some degree of 'magic' to red meat when bulking. Almost any bodybuilder will tell you to eat lean red meat off season for mass building.

Tukey has trypotophans. Maybe I'm nearotic but I avoid it as a meal a few hours before rolling.

Healthwise, red meat is 'bad' for you. As far as simply being 'healthy' you'd be better off consuming red meat very rarely.

That's all that springs to mind now. Hope it helps.

Red meat only gets the "bad" rap because most of it is fatty. Lean red meat you can eat every day.

The "magical" growth factors behind red meat (and bodybuilders knew about this from experience, all along) is probably that it is the best-- and one of the only-- sources of heme-iron and also that it has high levels of zinc. Iron from tablets is horribly absorbed compared to the heme-iron found in whole foods.

But this is off the top of my head. I'll check with my little brother when I get the chance.

Oh yeah, you can build up toxic levels of iron. That is probably another concern with the consumption of red meat.

Madmick said:
Oh yeah, you can build up toxic levels of iron. That is probably another concern with the consumption of red meat.

Yep, don't take iron as a guy unless prescribed by your doctor, especially if you are a meat eater, even moreso if you eat red meat. Not something you need to supplement in most cases, and you can cause yourself health problems if you do.

Don't take iron pills unless you're pregnant.. Im saying that from experience. I used to take them when I was cutting weight one season, but they just made me feel sick(er),

On an interesting sidenote concerning Iron, anyone know how they get Iron in cereals like Total and Wheaties?

Nail shavings. As in like you hammer a nail into a wall. Seriously.

When I took a biology class in college we did an experiment where we ground up such cereals in a mortar and pestel until it was basically powder, put the powder in water and stirred for about 5 straight minutes, then inserted a magnet. You'll pull the nail shavings right out of the cereal.

Hilarious stuff.

Bit off the Beef comparison topic but nice lean Turkey sausage is a great replacment to pork sausage. Makes a nice side to eggs on Sunday. Much leaner than pork and it dosent taste to bad with a few good spices :)

Tap112 said:
Something like 3 oz. cooked serving of 90% lean ground beef has 11 grams of total fat. 3 oz. ground turkey has 11.2 grams of total fat. In any event, the lean gound beef is going to have the same or less fat as cooked ground turkey, but will probably have a little more saturated fat than the turkey. The beef has more protein. 90% ground lean beef gives you around 27g per 3 oz. the turkey gives you around 21-23g. Also, if you're watching your cholesterol, think the beef is better to go with.

You'd probably be interested in this (shows how to drain fat from regular ground beef to make it less fattening than lean beef - saves you money):

http://www.beefinfo.org/bh_lean.cfm
Good post. I actually thought the turkey had more protien. Learn something new everyday.

Back