question about Greco-Roman wrestling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by RogerB08, Jul 29, 2010.

1. RogerB08

RogerB08 Red Belt

How do guys get into it? I've never heard of a high school or college having it.

2. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

In the US freestyle and greco are basically summer programs and you can't really do it at a lower level. Here you have llearn to wrestle doing folkstyle because most of the freestyle and greco gyms are full of experienced wrestlers and don't teach it to beginners. There aren't a lot of places you can go to just train wrestling without being competitive, with the exception of some MMA gyms that are starting to offer it or at camps for kids (Purler Wrestling Academy, Victory School of Wrestling, etc.). As an adult starting out, you'd be pretty out of place anywhere except at an MMA gym.

Edit: If you are still in high school then you should join the high school wrestling team and during the off-season people will be going to freestyle and greco camps.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

4. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

USA wrestling is the organization that wrestlers younger than college age compete in. They are the governing body of all the competitions. I could be wrong about that particular gym, but if they are like all the other gyms I know of that have people competing in USA wrestling tournaments they won't have anyone older than 14 who hasn't wrestled before.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. browncurt

browncurt White Belt

Just go to themat.com there you can find info about local events and clubs. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a program in your local town or city to get into and learn the basics.

6. I was wondering about this too, I would like to know where they've got some good wrestling clubs/gyms in the Los Angeles area, if anyone knows? :icon_chee

7. RogerB08

RogerB08 Red Belt

Thanks. I'd been wondering about that for a while.