Question about gi vs. no-gi

mammothreis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I'm a bit of a noob. Not sure if this is the right section or not either. What are the advantages of training no-gi vs. gi? I really want to get into gi but I can't make the earlier class at my gym so I have to go to no-gi classes. Would it be inappropriate to wear a gi during this class? Also, in general what are the advantages of no-gi? I feel as though it just makes more sense to train gi, but again that's an uneducated opinion. Thanks in advance for any info

Use the search function first. This subject is done about every other week.

Do whatever class you can and where whatever everyone else is wearing.

If you can make both do both.

If you can make both but only like one, stick to what you prefer.

It all comes down to preference and goals but there's enough overlap in both so you can become a good grappler which ever you do as long as the coach is sokid.

Gi brutalizes your hands. I like no-gi because my knuckles don't hurt like hell after class.

No-Gi is better for defending against Guido's because they take their shirts off. You can't pull off a cheap collar choke on a shirtless Guido.

If you want to learn the whole art and invest a considerable amount of time achieving rank then go gi. If you want to be more self defense/mma oriented then go no-gi.

If you want to learn the whole art and invest a considerable amount of time achieving rank then go gi. If you want to be more self defense/mma oriented then go no-gi.

gi is also good for self defense. people wear shirts/jackets and pants.

You should do both, because the two formats sharpen different skill sets.

Gi sharpens your skills in areas that are more difficult with more friction and grips that can be used against you, primarily defense like escapes and guard retention, but also some offense like non-gi-reliant chokes (arm triangles, RNCs etc.). Gi also gives you a greater understanding of grips, which are really almost the same with and without the gi, but the importance of proper grip fighting - and grip prevention - and the dominance of each grip/leverage point is so much more evident in the gi, where the grips are much, much stronger. Additionally, the gi forces you to think about a lot more threats/options, while at the same time slowing everything down in a 'pedagogic' manner.

No gi is basically the other way around, sharpening your skills in areas that are more difficult with LESS friction and fewer/weaker grips. Naturally, these are mostly offensive aspects like how to control someone positionally, be it passing the guard, holding them down in side control or staying tight on the armbar to keep them from slipping out. No gi is also a lot faster, fostering the ability to stay ahead of the opponent in scrambles and anticipate the next position. In addition to tightening up your offense, no gi sharpens your defense against attacks that are less common in the gi, like no gi chokes (especially guillotines) and leg locks (especially the heel hook, if allowed).

Gi brutalizes your hands. I like no-gi because my knuckles don't hurt like hell after class.

I just use no gi grips/controls regardless of format, easier on my fingers.

My thoughts:

I feel when I train Gi I have to be more technical and the game is slower and more methodical. The friction caused by the Gi make it tougher to get out of submissions. You can't rely as much on speed and power because of the extra friction and grips that are allowed. There are way more submissions in Gi, specifically chokes.

In no-Gi its a quicker game and speed and power come into more of an advantage here. Without the Gi I find I can slip and power out of positions that in the Gi I would be stuck in. No-Gi I also find is more of a cardio workout for me. It's harder to stall and really grind your partner.

IMO they both compliment each other and I see no reason to train both.

If you can only pick 1 then I would always pick Gi, but that's because I like Gi. 95% of my training is in the Gi, but during open mat I will do some no-gi rolls and enjoy the change and associated challenge.

Conclusion: Gi vs No-Gi : Neither one is better. They are different and you should try both. If you are able, do both because they compliment each other. If you can only pick 1 due to some reason, do whichever one you enjoy more. It's your money you're spending on a gym membership, you might as well do something you enjoy.

Sorry I'm a bit of a noob. Not sure if this is the right section or not either. What are the advantages of training no-gi vs. gi? I really want to get into gi but I can't make the earlier class at my gym so I have to go to no-gi classes. Would it be inappropriate to wear a gi during this class? Also, in general what are the advantages of no-gi? I feel as though it just makes more sense to train gi, but again that's an uneducated opinion. Thanks in advance for any info

Train in the gi because you earn ranking(belts) afters months/years of training. I personally love the gi. You don't want to train no-gi for 3 years and not earn some kind of rank(get a blue belt for example) and when you do decide to train gi you might start out as a white belt(if your were to change to a gi school). At least make your mat time count in terms of ranking.

But if you absolutely love no-gi and don't care about all the ranking/belt stuff then just train no-gi.

But like I said I rather train gi because 1) you are learning an art(which requires gi training, 2) you earn rankings(belts). To me, its like going to college and earning credits to get a degree.

When you train BJJ/grappling long enough you'll end up training both gi and no-gi at some point in your career. There will be folks who wants to grapple in gi only or no-gi only and you must know how to grapple well both ways.

But if your completely new to BJJ or grappling and want to learn BJJ I suggest train in the gi first.

gi=knowing how to fight people with jackets/thick clothing on

no-gi=knowing how to fight people shirtless or with just a shirt on

You should do both, because the two formats sharpen different skill sets.

I just use no gi grips/controls regardless of format, easier on my fingers.

Thats a great idea. So you just control the wrists, neck and head instead of grabbing the sleeves and Collar ?

Do you apply Collar chokes ?

Train in the gi as a beginner, and as an intermediate, and as an expert. Stop listening to all these whiners about how training in the gi is hard on their grips and fingers..

If you are taking BJJ for self defense reasons, train in the gi. The biggest concern for self defense is getting in a dangerous position, like getting mounted, or getting your back taken..and if you can learn to escape someone's mount or back mount with all the extra friction of a gi (who also knows how to hold the position), escaping some joe shmo wannabe tough guy's mount will be that much easier.

Training in the gi, especially as a beginner, slows the game down and allows you to do all the techniques methodically, and correctly, hitting all the finer details. Then when you can execute them in the gi, your technique will be that much better, so you will be able to execute in no-gi as well.

If you need any other reasons why not to train in the gi..name a great grappler who didn't start out training in the gi.

Thats a great idea. So you just control the wrists, neck and head instead of grabbing the sleeves and Collar ?

Yeah, I just use the same grips/controls that I would use in no gi. Naturally, some positions don't translate very well, so I don't play a lot of spider guard, for instance. (Although I do use a Marcelo Garcia style 2 on 1 and go foot-in-biceps on the other arm, setting up triangles much like Beneil Dariush.)

Do you apply Collar chokes ?

I personally don't, but I feel I have pretty effective no gi alternatives in most of the common collar choke positions.

if you're training gi and you're not using gi grips and subs\sweeps\guards that involve the gi then you are a moron and you're wasting both yours and your partners time.

if you're training gi and you're not using gi grips and subs\sweeps\guards that involve the gi then you are a moron and you're wasting both yours and your partners time.

Go tell that to Marcelo Garcia, who has maybe 3 gi techniques in his entire arsenal.

Moron.

No-Gi is better for defending against Guido's because they take their shirts off. You can't pull off a cheap collar choke on a shirtless Guido.

Helio should be revolving in his grave by now, you are not training gi because it brutalizes your hands? are you nails getting messed up because of the gi training my lady???? WTF! if you care about that, then may be you should change your tampoon, or may be, bjj isnt for you, you may wanna try something like ballet, your "knuckles" will be just fine there...

Imagine you go to Renzos school and ask him if you can just roll no gi because gi training brutalizes your hand... :eek::eek::eek:

Helio should be revolving in his grave by now, you are not training gi because it brutalizes your hands? are you nails getting messed up because of the gi training my lady???? WTF! if you care about that, then may be you should change your tampoon, or may be, bjj isnt for you, you may wanna try something like ballet, your "knuckles" will be just fine there...

Imagine you go to Renzos school and ask him if you can just roll no gi because gi training brutalizes your hand... :eek::eek::eek:

Jeff Glover almost never trains in the gi anymore because gi training fucked up his fingers. You feel like going to his school and telling him to change his tampon? If you do, let me know how that works out.

Go tell that to Marcelo Garcia, who has maybe 3 gi techniques in his entire arsenal.

Moron.

marcelo uses gi grips. gi grips are stronger than no gi. he uses them in the mundials. i am not sure if he uses them in gym just rolling.

gi grips really are better and if you are rolling in a gi and not using them you are kind of stupid.

first video i found on youtube. i thought i might have to watch a few mins of the match but i only had to watch a few seconds. within the first minute > sleeve grip, collar grip, back to sleeve grip, to belt grip. note: i am saying gi grips for control.

edit: upon furhter viewing, marcelo is all over gi grips

Back